Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for King of Kings [A-Z Blog Challenge]

Theme A B C D E F G H I J

K
King of Kings
 
I am a very unlikely Christ follower.  My home wasn't a Christian one--I didn't grow up hearing Bible stories, having family prayer, or going to church.  I wasn't brought up Baptist, Pentecostal, or Catholic.  I was raised "orthodox heathen." The only time I went to church as a child (besides weddings and funerals) was to a building that had the word "church" on it, but I never heard the name of Jesus there; not even at Christmas and Easter.  My parents were hard drinking, hard smoking people.  My mom didn't live out a Christian life until I was an adult and my dad didn't make peace with God until about six months before he died.

I was a daddy's girl who learned to drink, steal, lie, and cuss.  I never took to smoking like daddy, but I inherited his eating habits.  Both my parents were bitter at life and I learned to be acrid just like them.  A very unlikely candidate for the salvation from Jesus...or was I?

Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is the Hero of heroes.  He came to this world and said, "Hey, I'm not here for the people who think they've got it all together and believe they're smarter than God Almighty.  I'm here for those who know they are screwed up and admit that they can't fix themselves. I'm here for those who are willing to say 'Help, Lord!' and mean it." (Mark 2:16-17 Auntie's paraphrase)  I needed a lot of help, and He was the only true source I could find.

Celebrate Recovery principle one says, "Realize that I'm not God.  I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable.  'Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor (Matthew 5:3).'"  Once I made the decision to stop trying to be God and rely on Him, I started down the right road.  I said started down the right road not at the final destination on that road.  The change to my spirit after receiving Christ was instant; the changes to my soul and body will take a lifetime, but I'm getting better, one day at a time.

This road is not just for me, but for anyone willing to say yes.

 

For more information on the A-Z Blog Challenge, go to:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment