Saturday, June 8, 2013

What's in a Name?: 30-Day Blog Challenge, Day 2

The Meaning Behind My Blog's Name [30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 2]

When I began this blog I called it "The Elephant in the Room."  I used the blog as a substitute for the lack of honest dialogue in my life. I figured that I could be honest about what I was feeling and if people wanted to read it, they would.  If they didn't, they know how to move on to something else...or so I thought.  I talked about what happened here (what will hereby be referred to as the Intervention from Hell). After I stopped being co-dependent long enough to make some healthy changes, I totally revamped my blog.  Of course, it is still evolving, but it is also "me;" not "pre-approved by others me."

So what does the term Iron Diva mean?  I got inspired by a former classmate and current Facebook friend’s group of workout buddies.  They called themselves the Iron Divas, and she gave me permission to use it (thanks J-ro).  The IRON stands for:

IRON

As Iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.  Proverbs 27:17 (NLT)

I           I am
R         Recovering
O         One Day at a Time
N          No Turning Back


I am:  Knowing who you are in Christ is vital to obtaining and maintaining total spiritual, mental, and physical health.  (John 1:12)

Recovering:  We are only as sick as our secrets.  We all have hurts, habits, and hang-ups. Until we deal with them, we cannot effectively help others. (II Timothy 2:25-26)



One Day at a Time: I have a problem with being an “all-or-nothing” girl.  God constantly reminds me that Jesus took care of the past and the His word promises me a blessed future and I can only live one day at a time. (Hebrews 3:13)

No Turning Back:  Never let go.  Never give up.  God says you’re worth it. (Ephesians 1:6). 
 
 
DIVA

I was in a Sunday School class one day and we were reading about Abraham's wife, Sarah, and the fact that her name means princess.  We joked that the modern day equivalent for princess would be Diva. 

Although the dictionary definition of the word diva is "a distinguished female singer; a prima donna," it is also taken from the word divine.  So, an Iron Diva can be described as "one of God’s divine princesses."  Isaiah 61:3 says "...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness..." God wants to give us beauty and joy in our lives, but we must accept the gift in order to walk in it.

The acronym D.I.V.A. stands for:

D - Dominate sin
I - Intense worship
V - Victor, not victim
A - Accountable

Dominate Sin:  I Corinthians 15:34a - "Awake to righteousness, and sin not."  When we walk in the righteousness Christ died to give us, we can conquer any hurt, habit, or hangup that tries to overpower us.

Intense Worship - Psalm 149:6 - "Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;"  Praise and worship are a powerful weapon.

Victor, not Victim - Romans 8:37 - "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us."  If we stick with it, WE WIN!


Accountable - Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 - "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.  10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up." We all need help.

{I'm linking up with So, Funny Story for this 30 Day blog challenge.}

5 comments:

  1. Man, I want to be an Iron Diva!! I love your blog name and how well you described it. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love acronyms. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so encouraged me. I love your Blog Name and the meaning behind it. The acronyms and the scriptures linked to them. And that you are on blogspot.com... I have a blogspot and have thought I needed to branch out and do a wordpress thing. But you and several others on the FMF are on blogspot and seem to be working for you for years. I am only really beginning to blog. Thank you from another IRON DIVA!!

    ReplyDelete