Friday, September 29, 2017

Five Minute Friday: "Depend"


Psalm 121:1-3  - I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. 2My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. 3He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
 
Isaiah 49:15-16 - Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.16Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
 
Who likes to be dependent?  Get that hand up.  Anyone?  Anybody?
 
Most of us don't like to depend on someone else.  I don't.  I often fight thoughts that I'm being too needy, that I will be forgotten or let down, or that it shows a lacking on my part.  I spent my early years with no choice to be dependent on others.  Even when people understood why I needed help, they often threw it up in my face.  Some of it I deserved; some I didn't.
 
In Girl Scouts, we used to sing this little chorus:
No man is an island,
No man stands alone,
Each man's joy is joy to me,
Each man's grief is my own.…
I tried to understand it, but often found myself alone to suffer my own grief and brief joy.  Again, some deserved, some not.  As I grew in my relationship with Christ, I was often confronted with the fact that God created us for community, but still I often balked (or at least chaffed) at the notion.
 
The Lord has used all the changes from this year to show me that I can depend on Him.  He has used people from South Carolina to Colorado and beyond to show me that His love and help knows no bounds.  He's shown me that desiring to be independent of His people is to attempt to be independent of Him. 
-----
Prompts provided by Mrs. Kate over at Five Minute Friday.

10 comments:

  1. I have struggled a lot with this too- it can be scary to depend on others. So true that God made us for community though and there can be huge blessings when we take the risk and let people in. Your FMF neighbour at #22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a blessing. For the most part, people are very loving and understanding. But there's always that ONE. I just have to be thankful for the majority and pray for the ONE.

      Delete
  2. Yes! God uses our community to remind us that being dependent is part of living life together. I like to do it all myself but am always so amazed when God brings people into my life to help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sometimes were are all like the toddler screaming, "Me do it!" But when we've failed at independence and made a mess, isn't it comforting for God to send loving arms to make it all better?

      Delete
  3. Loved this, Shannon.

    Back in the day I worked with some dudes who shared a common creed.

    Either everyone comes home, or no one does.

    The honoured dead would not be left for our enemies desecration. That's something worth dying for.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/09/your-dying-spouse-368-my-hero-hiroo-fm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew. I'm interested in the book you mentioned in your post. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  4. "As I grew in my relationship with Christ, I was often confronted with the fact that God created us for community, but still I often balked (or at least chaffed) at the notion."
    I am valuing this more and more. I had some rough times of it in the family of God and kind of rushed the other way. I am relearning to allow myself to love and be loved.
    Great post Auntie. Glad I visited you today.

    Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings - Kelly (FMF visiting from #60)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Kelly. May the Lord continue to show you how to receive that love. It's hard sometimes, but it's worth it.

      Delete
  5. I'm a woman in a man's industry and it is lonely. I don't want to ask for help or have to depend on anyone. I always feel like I have to prove myself. So, I've been pretty independent and lonely most of my career. My joy came from my work, only now not so much. I'm working hard to change my approach. I'm finding joy in the Lord and learning to depend on Him. You made me think. Thanks for a really good post.

    ReplyDelete