Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for Craig Ferguson [A-Z Blog Challenge]

Theme A B
C
Craig Ferguson

 
"Sober alkies are often asked, ‘When did you hit rock bottom?’ But a more informed question might be, ‘How many times did you hit rock bottom?"
 
Craig Ferguson
 
 "Look, the point is, I already know how to eat better; we all do.  Honestly, is there anybody out there that doesn't know how they should eat?  It's pretty simple; you eat more vegetables and fewer snacks that are covered with orange dust.  Ah, sweet, delicious orange dust.  I like to rub it on my gums like fluorescent cocaine.  Oooh, I need another Cheeto bump!"  
 
 Craig Ferguson 

Sometimes God brings people into my life that I feel I have nothing in common with.  Some I interact with in my daily life, some are far away images who the Lord uses as examples and distant heroes.  One such person is comedian Craig Ferguson.

Ferguson is a naturalized American citizen originally from Cumbernauld (a small town on the outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland).  He came to America in the 90's and worked his way into show business.  He is now well known for his comedy, acting, and hosting the Late Late Show

So, how does a self-described "vulgar lounge entertainer" become a recovery hero for a small town Southern girl?  First, earlier this year Ferguson celebrated his 22nd year of sobriety, having been to rehab for drug and alcohol addiction and continuing to stay sober ever since.  I've only been in Celebrate Recovery for food addiction for a little over 5 years, so anyone who's maintained his recovery longer than I have I look up to.  I mean how, how do you just never touch the stuff again?  I still can't imagine myself never overeating or eating for emotional reasons again.  I'm a lot better, but still...

Second, Mr. Ferguson is not a Hollywood pretty boy who went to "celebrity hospital" and lounged by the pool for "rehab holiday."  He never says he was in rehab for a couple of weeks and everything was O.K., so what's wrong with the peasants who can't get it together.  In fact, his story is quite the opposite; he went to a regular place with regular people at a facility in England, not L.A.  He worked hard and went through the process.  He's a reminder that the recovery process is not a microwave, but a crock pot, and he's still simmering away.

Third, he's just plain real about life and recovery.  He's open about the fact that he's an alcoholic (among other things), had a couple of failed marriages, still struggles with food and weight, and was very damaged by his childhood. Yet, he made something of himself.  No, I don't agree with everything he says or does, but he has more humility about his foibles than many Christ followers I know.  He says, "Yep, I'm screwed up, but I'm still going and having a blast doing it."  My story is not nearly as dramatic as his, but yet I've wanted to give up many times.  He mentors me without even knowing it.  When I see him online (I don't have cable) or read a quote of his, I'm encouraged to keep on.  Yes, I realize his blessings and success seem to only be on this side of heaven (for now).  But look at it this way.  Mr. Ferguson has accomplished great things while trying to find the God that he admits he doesn't understand.  I made a decision for Christ almost 28 years ago and still have no type of success in my small corner of "JackVegas"--Alabama's version of Cumbernauld.  I don't have nearly the influence he has, nor the ability to help as many people as Mr. Ferguson.  I can learn from his work ethic and business sense. He is not a victim of circumstance; he has kicked circumstance in the taint and sent it away crying for its mama!


For more information on the A-Z Blog Challenge, go to:


2 comments:

  1. Do you know, I don't watch much TV at all, but I happened to see Craig Ferguson's monologue on Britney Spears. It is not exaggerating to say it changed me. It changed the way I see people, and interact with people. I'll not ever again witness a train wreck without offering to help. I agree wholeheartedly, he is a hero, and I believe he's been an instrument of God on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Laurelei. I watch that monologue on YouTube every once in a while to remind me that it does get better. It also reminds me that no matter what a person's station in life, everyone is hurting and needs the love of God shown to them.

      Delete