Sunday, August 19, 2018

E is for Eggs and Leftovers [A-Z Blog Challenge 2015]


Experiments From Auntie's Test Kitchen

Intro  A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Conclusion

                                                                                                                    

E is for Eggs and Leftovers 

The "incredible, edible egg."  From my mom's scrambled eggs to the Denver Omelet to which I was introduced upon moving to Colorado, eggs have been an integral part of my diet for as long as I can remember.

Something weird has happened lately.  I have lost my taste for eggs.  One of my favorite meals is my Hot Mess Omelet.  For several weeks now, eating this dish or any cooked eggs that aren't boiled was making me absolutely sick.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was.  Then it hit me.  Like my mom, I always cooked my eggs in a cast iron skillet.  I was given a nice set of nonstick cookware as a housewarming gift and don't yet own a cast iron skillet.  That's a problem.  For some reason, eggs and Teflon do NOT get along.  The nonstick coating gives the eggs a gag-inducing aftertaste. 

To test my hypothesis, I decided to take some leftover items from the fridge and bake them with eggs.  I mixed together:
  • Six eggs.
  • 1/2 of a large onion, chopped.
  • About one cup of chopped red and yellow bell pepper.
  • Some shredded cheddar cheese.
  • Some shredded mozzarella cheese left over from this mess.
  • A little butter.
  • A little milk.
  • About a teaspoon of corn starch.
  • Salt to taste.
I preheated the oven to 350 degrees (the standard temperature for when you don't know how to cook anything).  I coated my small baking dish with some of the butter, mixed together the other ingredients, poured it into the dish, topped it with more shredded cheese and a little more butter, and baked it for about 30 minutes.

Not only did it look pretty good, it tasted great.  Now understand, what I used in this bake are the same items I use in my omelets. The only real difference was the pan.  However, the difference to my tummy was night and day.  Until I can budget for a small cast iron skillet, this will suffice.  The only changes I would make would be that I would precook the veggies (they were a bit al dente), add more eggs and not use any milk, and add some bacon or turkey sausage to the mix.

My enjoyment of eggs has been restored.

UPDATE:  Finally, I had the budget for a good Lodge-brand cast iron skillet.  Now, I can enjoy eggs even more.

2 comments:

  1. I don't cook with eggs much any more since it appears I have a bit of an allergy to them. However, I still found your experience and experiment to be very interesting.

    I cook almost exclusively with cast iron these days, so I hope you can get what you need soon! I did not know eggs and Teflon produce an unpleasant egg. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I hope to get some cast iron in my kitchen soon.

      Delete