Sunday, February 25, 2018

Quantum Singularity: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, February 25, 2018
 

Outside my window  A cold sunny day marking the end of a very cold week.  The next few days look warmer with no snow in the forecast.


I am thinking... 


…about children’s literature.  When I was younger, Beverly Cleary was among my favorite authors.   I never read the entire Ramona series, but I did read Ramona the Brave and Ellen Tibbits over and over.  Now **mumble** years later, I decided to read the Ramona series starting with book one and glean the same enjoyment I had as a child.  That’s not what happened.  To be clear, my disappointment has nothing to do with Mrs. Cleary’s books; she’s an excellent writer.  I think the problem is that as an adult, I understand the family dysfunction much more.  The more I read Beezus and Ramona the sadder I got.  Why?  Because in the grand scope of things, I was Ramona and my sister Ida was Beezus.  I am eight years younger, and though not nearly as disobedient and prone to tantrums as Ramona (I got my tail torn up if I acted like that), I know I got on my sister’s very last nerve, and I’m sure she was just as frustrated with my existence as Beezus was with her younger sister.  I wasn't a brat like Ramona, but I wasn't the delightful, imaginative child many in the story saw her to be either.  I was a sickly burden who got thrust on my sister to entertain.  Reading this book made me understand the family dynamic between my older siblings and me—at least the ones who were still at home when I was growing up.  It’s just too bad I can’t fix it; all I can do is apologize.  It is what it is.  I don’t believe I’ll go back and read any more of the series.  I don’t need that kind of emotional mayhem going on.  I’ve got enough to deal with.

CCC's Latest Sermon Series
I’m pondering on today’s sermon.  Colorado Community Church is in the throws of a series on the Ten Commandments.  Today, Pastor Robert taught on “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” (Exodus 20:14)  I have to give him props for this message.  One, he flat-out defined fornication and adultery without tiptoeing around it.  (Some people really do need to know what they mean, or at least they act like they do.)  Two, he showed the example of God’s grace by using the account in John, chapter eight, of the woman caught in adultery.  Third, and most important to me, he is the first Pastor I’ve ever heard tell those who are single something I’ve always said; that faithfulness begins before marriage, before dating, before anything.   His approach is a total 180 from any marriage sermons I’ve heard.  I’ve talked about it before, but the church in general has a bad habit of a) blatantly teaching females that their only purpose on this earth is to be a wife and mother, b) ostracizing, dehumanizing, and/or questioning the sexual orientation of any single woman over the age of 18 ¾, c) honoring women who’ve slept with any and everybody simply because they have produced children, rather than honoring and encouraging those who are saving themselves for marriage as God intended.  This mentality subliminally encourages fornication and adultery. It’s as if they’re saying, “Please ladies, just sleep with somebody and have a baby.  You’ll be one of us and get much better treatment that way.”  This was not that kind of sermon.  Also, at the closing prayer, he left no one out.  His prayer was for both the married and the unmarried.  And, no, he didn’t pray for “those single women who desperately pray for a husband and children” (because that’s all single women pray about, right?)  For the first time, I left a marriage sermon without feeling like I had the word “freak” flashing over my head.  Thank you, Pastor Robert.

Now, back to children’s literature...
 
I am considering doing something for Read Across America.  For the past two years, I’ve volunteered for the United Way of Calhoun County’s participation in the yearly celebration of Dr. Seuss’ birthday.  Each volunteer goes to a local school, reads an age-appropriate book to a Kindergarten class, then presents the book as a gift to the class.  Unfortunately, I discovered that the Mile High United Way here in the Denver area does not participate in this program, nor do they participate in answering their e-mails either. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Anyway...
 
Here’s my idea.  I’m thinking of reading this year’s book, or one like it, either as an audio podcast, or as a video this weekend and posting it online.  Would any of you who have small children (or large children, for that matter) be interested in hearing/seeing it?  Since I can’t give my love of reading to children here in Lakewood, I’d like to give it to anyone interested.  Hit me up in the comments, or by e-mail at auntiesworkshop@outlook.com.  Now, if I don't hear from anyone, I'm not going to do it.  I don't need to hear me read the story; I want to share it with you.

I am thankful...
  • for good weather so I could make it to the bus stop for church.
  • for a mentor who is willing to continue to give me advice and encouragement though I’m far away.
  • for a better week.  I felt rather peaked last week.
  • for the DMV agent finally getting my eye color correct on my license.  It's been wrong ever since I've had a state ID or license. 

From the Workshop... I have several paintings in the works, but nothing complete to show yet.  Still don’t have everything to finish my big project yet.

I am reading...  
  • I Thought it Was Just Me by Brene Brown.
  • Word Made Art: Lent by Heather Caliri
  • Your Best Year Ever by Michael Hyatt
  • The Greatest Thing in the World and Other Addresses by Henry Drummond.
Books I’ve finished since my last Daybook
  • Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary.  Mentioned earlier.
  • Braving the Wilderness by Brene’ Brown.  Please see the review here.
  • The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I reread that one near the end of winter every few years so that I remember that my winter is nowhere near as bad.  I really needed it this year.


I am learning... that as well as I’m doing with my health, I still make keeping myself nourished a very low priority.  I’m not budgeting the proper amount of funds to procure enough food to last until the next pay period.  It’s not that I don’t have the money; I just feel like spending that much on food for me is a waste.  It should be used for something more important than what I shove in my pie hole.  I haven’t figured out how to deal with this mentality, but if I want to continue and maintain good health habits, the paradigm must shift.


Favorite quote(s) of the week

"There are two types of millennials; Sucks and Awesome.  There's no middle ground."  - Dave Ramsey on his 2/20/18 radio show.

"I believe if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade and try to find someone whose life has given them Vodka and have a party." – Ron White

“…God has made humans in his image reflecting God’s very nature.  You’re here to bear fruit, reproduce, lavish life on the earth, live bountifully.” – Genesis 9: 6b-7. The Message.

"I can confidently say that stories of pain and courage almost always include two things:  praying and cussing.  Sometimes at the exact same time." – Brene’ Brown
 
"Far too many Christians have only come through Calvary, but not through Pentecost.  So as a result, we are butterflies when we are meant to be eagles." - Charles Spurgeon, quoted by Bianca Olthoff
 

I am looking forward to... 
  • Colorado Christian University’s Strategic Objective Workshop this Friday.
  • Finishing up the paintings I started this week.

And now for something totally different...

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Beauty
 
 
 
Can I be honest? If I have to make my pizza crust out of cauliflower,
I better save more than 60 calories. I better save like 6,000 calories. If you eat cauliflower pizza you should automatically get amazing abs. Like first bite." - John Acuff


 
 
 



 
 

2 comments:

  1. That sermon was absolutely brilliant! IF he's your usual minister, you are truly blessed! I thoroughly enjoyed it - all 29 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for taking the time to watch. Yes, Pastor Robert is our Senior Pastor. He crams a lot into a 30 minute sermon. God truly blessed me by sending me to Colorado Community Church.

      I forgot to mention the Kool and the Gang moment. As soon as he said "Cherish," my mind went right to that song. :)

      Delete