Wednesday, July 14, 2021

French Twist: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!

 
Tell us about one small blessing you have counted in the past week? 

One?  Nah. There have been several:

  • Gala apples
  • Ice cube trays
  • Clean water
  • Bosses with a sense of humor
  • Mediocre food that still satisfies
  • A paper coffee cup that doesn't leak
  • Command hooks
  • Lotion
  • Chap Stick

Bastille Day is celebrated on July 14th...have you ever been to France? Any desire to visit there, and if so what would site or city would you most want to see? (pretend for a minute international travel isn't an issue) 

No, I've never been to France.  My desire to visit there comes with a bit of trepidation.  I've heard from more than one person that the French do not take kindly to American visitors, much less people of color from anywhere.  I don't speak French, so I would be in a world of hurt if I tried to visit there alone--which I would never do.
 
A food associated with France that you love? 
 
I'm extremely ignorant of French cuisine, so I can't really answer this question (Yes, I do know that French fries aren't really French.  I'm not that stupid.).   As a kid, I loved to watch Julia Child on PBS.  I had no idea what kind of food she was making; I just enjoyed watching her antics in the kitchen.  One thing I wish I could do is experience food from different countries and take cooking classes on said food.  I don't even know if they do that here in Colorado.

Something you recently purchased where a coupon was involved? Do you regularly shop with coupons? 
 
I use coupons all the time.  Now, I'm not an extreme couponer or anything like that.  If there is a coupon for something I plan to buy (groceries, craft supplies, etc.), I use it.  I get coupons in the mail and through e-mail from stores I frequent.  I can't take up hours and hours hunting and clipping coupons for items I don't need or even want simply because there's a coupon for it. I am brand conscious about very few items, so I save money by buying the generic or "off brand" version of an item.  Usually, the prices on these are cheaper than the name brand with a coupon.

You have to give something away this week...what will it be? 
 
Well, it depends on what someone needs or wants that I can give.

Insert your own random thought here.

In case you missed it:  

*My last Hodgepodge post, "Salty Dog," is here.
*My latest Five Minute Friday post "Summer" is here.
*My latest Simple Woman's Daybook "Junior Asparagus," is here.
*My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing II" is here.
*My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of Love Does  is here.

12 comments:

  1. I'm more of a comfort traveler where the challenges are few and not speaking French I would probably not be comfortable in France. Nice lists of blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be willing to at least attempt to learn the language, but if being an American person of color means I'll be mistreated no matter what, I'm not going to bother.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that about the French as well, but it was mainly the Parisians: I've heard that if you get out in the countryside they are more tolerant. In their defense, what little I've traveled I've tried to stay away from American tourists...I find that they're loud and think everyone owes them. I think you should have to pass a test on how to act when you're out of the country before you're allowed to leave! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should have to take a test on how to act when you're IN the country. :)

      Delete
  3. There are some opportunities for cooking classes online that might be of interest to you. A friend of mine received one for Mother's Day from her children and they all participated from their respective homes via Zoom with the chef. She said it was a lot of fun. Parisians may be less friendly than those outside the city, but cities in general are that way. The people we've encountered in the countryside were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've seen how my recipes turn out without help. I need a live cooking class.

      Delete
  4. I'm not really up on french cuisine either. Love all your small blessings

    ReplyDelete