Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Junior Asparagus: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

 
For Today: Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Looking Out My Window ... 

I'm not sure if it's just a trick, but it finally looks like spring outside.  The rains have brought out the blooms and the green.  Still, since we did have snow the week before Memorial Day two years ago (?!), I'm not sure I can declare it spring yet.  I'll just enjoy each day as it comes.











I am Thinking...
  • About more consistency on my blogs.  I know that my blogging slowed down while I was in school, but now that that's over, I'm trying to figure out how to be more consistent.  However, some weeks prove difficult due to my not feeling well, feeling like there was nothing salient to share, or, quite frankly, my blog prompts not really hitting on anything.  No, I'm not criticizing the prompts; they are designed for a diverse group of bloggers.  It just that sometimes I'll start on a prompt and my answers either bore or depress me--and I'm not willing to pass that on if I can help it.
  • About my upcoming vacation time.  I really don't want to sit at home the whole week.   A couple of day of lounging, reading, and making pretty-pretties is fine, but I'm so ready to get out of the house.
  • About whether I can borrow someone's kid or grandkid to teach me how to ride a skateboard or any of the other "you're too old to do that" things I want to learn.  I know that God knows what He's doing, but sometimes I lament that I live in such a time that everyone is too busy for "outsiders" to be included in family fun.
I am Thankful for...
  • For closure:  The university has decided to make our department remote indefinitely.  I've felt like my life has been on hold since last March.  Now, I can redo my office area and my schedule to make them more conducive to permanently working from home.
  • For more closure:  as I stated in my last Hodgepodge, I received my Master of Arts in Theological Studies degree.  Let's see where this leads.

From the Workshop...  

See my latest post "Finishing and Fixing II" here.

From Auntie's Test Kitchen... When I had Easter dinner at Diana's house last month, I complemented her on the food, including the green beans.  She and her husband, Randy both laughed at me.  This wasn't a new occurrence, so I took it in stride and asked them what was so funny.  They informed me that those were not green beans, but asparagus, and that other friends had made that same faux pas. I asked Diana what did she do to them since they tasted so good.  Understand, my only experience with asparagus has either been these sticks in the stir fry vegetable package that tasted like tree bark, or watching Junior Asparagus on Veggietales...

Anyway...

Diana's method for cooking asparagus is to cut off and throw away the bottom of the stem and toss the remaining edible portion of the vegetable in a combination of seasonings and olive oil and bake at about 350 degrees for around 20-25 minutes.  Honestly, I couldn't believe it was that simple...until I tried it myself.

Here's my first attempt as a side with a salad and a sandwich.  One thing I did learn is to only cook what I'm going to eat right then.  Leftover asparagus gets real slimy really quick.  I'll absolutely be making this again.

I am Reading...  
Depression is Contagious by Michael Yapko
The Ministry of Intercession by Andrew Murray
As You Wish by Cary Elwes

Completed volumes since my last Daybook:  Yes, it's been a while, so there's a lot of books.
  1. Walk With Jesus:  Stations of the Cross by Henri Nouwn
  2. Martin Luther in His Own Words by Martin Luther
  3. Pauses for Lent by Tervor Hudson
  4. The Heart of the Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
  5. Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer
  6. The Five Love Languages: Singles Edition by Gary Chapman.  Please see my review here.
  7. Interior Castle by Saint Teresa of Avila 
  8. A Little Book on the Christian Life by John Calvin.
  9. Of Prayer and the Christian Life by John Calvin.
  10. Partners in Prayer by John Maxwell
  11.  Love Does by Bob Goff.  Please see my review here.

Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ... 

"Quite often people who cannot seem to concentrate think they are mentally deficient.  However, an inability to concentrate can be the result of years of letting the mind do whatever it wants to do, whenever it wants to do it." - Joyce Meyer, Battlefield of the Mind, p. 87

"If we allow this one matter, unfaithfulness in prayer, to convict us of the lack in our Christian life, God will use the discovery to bring us not only the power to pray that we long for, but the joy of a new and healthy life, of which prayer is the spontaneous expression." - Andrew Murray, The Ministry of Intercession, p. 18.

"Because of our love for each other, I understand a little more about how God has pursued me in creative and whimsical ways, ways that initially did not get my attention. Nevertheless, He wouldn't stop.  That's what love does--it pursues blindly, unflinchingly, and without end.  When you go after something you love, you'll do anything it takes to get it, even if it costs everything." - Bob Goff, Love Does, p. 52.

"Faith in a prayer-hearing God will make a prayer-loving Christian." Andrew Murray, The Ministry of Intercession, p. 46.

"O.K. I've gotten both doses of the vaccine.  Now will y'all please leave me the hell alone?!" - Auntie

Now For Something Totally Different ...

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Broken.

 


 



 
 

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment