Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Electric Mayhem: The Weekly Hodgepodge [30 Day Photo Blog]

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge questions.


I'm combining the Hodgepodge today and the Photo Blog.  I went into my old photo albums for part of this, so they are pictures I took.

It's still May, right? When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem?
The mayhem of moving
Moving is mayhem on both ends!  At the apartment, I had to sort through almost 19 years of living in the same place.  I thought I had gotten rid of a bunch of stuff before I even knew I was moving, but when I got into the nooks and crannies, I saw I hadn't made much of a dent.  It's going to be a while before the new place is put together properly.
When did you last feel dismayed?
Depression is a frequent struggle for me.  I guess I would consider being dismayed as the ultimate punch in the gut when something happens to take away any confidence or will to live.  The last time that happened was when my craft business was shut down by forces beyond my control.  When I have turned in the keys to the old place, I will go into more details.  Let's just say that dying was a better alternative than having my passion and hope peed on.
What's a food combination you like, but other people may find strange?
Auntie's "Hot Mess Omelet"
Probably all the things I put in/on my omelet.  I usually put sautéed veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach), cheese, avocado, olives, and salsa.  As you can see, it looks a hot mess, but it tastes wonderful.  Yes, I know I scorched the eggs, but I'm used to it.  I'd rather them be scorched than raw and runny.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." Do you think that's true? Why or why not?
I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm in the midst of that myself.  I'm in my early 40's and still trying to reach my dreams.  You don't know how many times people have tried to discourage me from continuing to improve.  Whether it's my health or my art, there are always haters who don't want to see me succeed.  I have to keep going.  Besides, life begins at 40, so I'm just an infant.
Photo via Google
An inspiration to this concept for me is Ernestine Shepherd.  I mentioned her in my Z entry for the A-Z blog challenge last month.  She is in her mid 70's and at one time was the oldest living competitive body builder.  She didn't get started on her health journey until her 50's.  If she can do it, I can do it.
 
 

US News and World Report listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows-Washington D.C, Philadelphia PA, Williamsburg VA, Charleston SC, Boston MA, Richmond VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA, New Orleans LA, and Charlottesville VA.

Of those listed how many have you seen in person? Which two sites on the list would you most like to see in person?
Our high school's marching band took a trip to Washington DC when I was a senior.  We got to take many tours, but we were also there as a statement to Congress not to close our local military base, Fort McClellan (they closed it anyway--jerks!).  I would love to go back and take all the tours again.  When we went through, it was so rushed and we were so tired from riding on a bus all night.  If I hadn't taken pictures, I wouldn't have remembered any of it. 
Other places I would like to see? San Francisco:  I want to see the Golden Gate Bridge and tour the shops and cultural sites.  San Antonio:  I want to take the river walk, eat the cuisine, and see the jazz bands along the way.  I'm going to make such a great tourist.

May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. If you had to participate in a single fitness activity for the next half hour, which activity would you choose?
From the National Museum of
American History
Well, bicycling, of course.  All this moving has kept me off the walking track and the bike trail as much as I would like to be.  I'm ready to get back on it more consistently.  There's going to be a lot of walks, runs, and bike rides the rest of this month.
What did you like best about the city, town, or neighborhood where you grew up?
I've written about "JackVegas" before.  There wasn't much to like about it as a kid.  As an adult, the new Community Center and the Chief Ladiga Trail are on the top of my list.
Insert your own random thought here.

1990 Jacksonville High School Golden Eagle Band in Washington DC.
I'm in the back somewhere...I am short, you know.

1 comment:

  1. Depression is VERY REAL!!! My brother-in-law and best friend both suffer from it. They have both lived on the fringes all their 50+ years. My friend is losing a relationship because the guy doesn't comprehend it. I PRAY you can get real help for it....a diagnosis, meds, therapy--whatever works. Whoever shut down your business is EVIL. Period. You have tried SO HARD your whole life. Most people would have given it up, but not you. I admire you so much!!! I'm thinking of you always and VERY curious as to where you are moving. I hope it's something good for you. GBY now and always!!! I think, pray, and sometimes cry over you. Signed, mostly dead idiot in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete