Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Multitasking for Dummies [30 Day Photo Blog]

Went by Sav-A-Life and worked a while.  I got to see my boyfriend and his mom.  We are reorganizing the office and it's going to take a while.  It was worth it to get to snuggle my buddy.

I also went to Wal-Mart today (no photo).  Apparently, I have the same gift as comedian Taylor Mason;  no matter what store I'm in people always think I work there.  It happens all the time.  I was looking for an item and a lady came up to me and asked, "Honey, where are the potato chips?"  If I had $100 for every time that's happened, I'd be loaded.  Oh, yeah, I did tell her what aisle.

On my new route home, I get to see this gorgeous property.  For the longest I didn't even know what it was.  Turns out it's a restaurant called "Classic at Buckhorn."  This restaurant is a spin-off of an Anniston restaurant called Classic on Noble.  They are both supposed to be fine dining establishments and I've heard great things about them.  So maybe this will the fancy restaurant where I will dress up in my finest and have a meal someday (numbers 11 and 12 on my 101 in 1001 list).

Finally, I have made it to Community Band practice!  We've got a performance coming up on June 6 in Gadsden, Alabama.  I'm looking forward to it.  We're doing several of our best tunes plus some patriotic standards. 

A combination of two of my favorite things:
drumming and crochet.  :)  If you can't tell,
there's a crocheted afghan stuffed in the
bass drum.
Mr. Smith conducted us tonight, so I had to play as many percussion parts as I could cover.  I am so weird.   I can read all these rolls, accents, and dynamics marks and get through a snare drum piece without major incident.  But, hand me a piece of drumset music, I am a deer in headlights.  I never play drumset by the written music because, as comedian Mark Lowry says about written music, "It just looks like a bunch of little white and black boys jumping over a fence."  So, I simply kept a simple steady beat (for the most part).  I compensated by keeping the humor going.  As long as I can keep Donnie, one of our Tuba players, cracking up, I'm good.  He's played for the band since before I came, and he and I laughed through my first Christmas concerts.  I had several songs where I only had one note (153, 154, 155, DING!), plus for the concert at the mall, the guys forgot to bring the snare drum and they had to get someone to bring it 20 miles ("Tacet for Trumpet and Athletic Shoe" here we come).  Good times.

The day ended with a beautiful moonlit drive home. 

Good night, moon.




No comments:

Post a Comment