Sunday, December 2, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 11 [My Mythical Year]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.
 

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 11
  • The beginning of the Advent season is always something for which to be thankful.
  • Very thankful for no snow this weekend so I didn't have to miss another church service.
  • Thankful for Pastor Robert's message.
  • After church, I was invited to lunch by a friend I met at the Tuesday morning Bible Study I attended before I started working at CCU.  I'm thankful to have maintained and continued to grow this friendship.
  • After lunch, I spent a couple of hours with Annie, my sister-in-blog, and her family.  Thankful for great adult conversation mixed with the laughter of children.  Thankful for the hugs of friends and baby hugs with I love yous.
  • I'm thankful for my sister, Clara.  We had our normal no-holds-barred phone conversation while I did laundry and put up my Christmas tree.  We can truly talk to each other about anything and we laugh about everything.
Today's Throwback Thanks goes to the late Dr. John Reaves, my childhood eye doctor.  As much as I loathe going to the eye doctor, Dr. Reaves' gentle manner and hearty laugh made the experience less unbearable.  I'm thankful that he didn't make empty promises or lofty guarantees to my parents like some of his contemporaries did.  I'm also thankful that he knew when he needed the expertise of fellow ophthalmologists to help preserve, and later restore, much of my sight.  He never treated me like a number, annoyance, or freak.  He always treated me with kindness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment