Friday, December 23, 2016

Auntie's 2016 Bookworm Challenge 22

Book:  Daring Greatly
 
Author:  Dr. Brene' Brown

Info: Copyright 2012,  Thorndike, MI: Center Point Large Print

Where acquired: Library check out.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars): ✮✭✮✭

What it's about:  Dr. Brown's previous work The Gifts of Imperfection helped the reader recognize and conquer shame.  This work expands on moving from shame to vulnerability to truly live and authentic life. 

Favorite Quotes:

"Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage." - p. 52

"Until we can receive with an open heart, we are never really giving with an open heart.  When we attach judgment to receiving help, we knowingly or unknowingly attach judgment to giving help.  We all need help." - p. 72

"Perfection is not the key to success.  In fact, research shows that perfectionism hampers achievement,.  Perfectionism is correlated with depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis or missed opportunities.  The fear of failing, making mistakes, not meeting people's expectations, and being criticized keeps us outside of the arena where healthy competition and striving unfolds." - p. 166

"'Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer.'" - Scott Stratten. - p. 220

"I can honestly say that nothing is as uncomfortable, dangerous and hurtful as believing that I'm standing on the outside of my life looking in and wondering what it would be like if I had the courage to show up and let myself be seen." - p. 313

What I Liked:
  • Brown not only took great pains in researching her subject matter, she spent the same amount of time genuinely experiencing her theories in her own life.  She didn't play the distant clinician; she got just as messy as the people she studied.
  • Quite frankly, I enjoyed this book because it got into my head and brought out so many emotions.  A plethora of examples from this volume, both positive and negative, have played out in my own life.  The strategies employed in the text have given me hope to break the shame cycle and begin to live my life as God intended.
  • The author tackled the subject of parenting without turning the entire text into a mommy book.
What I didn’t like: 
  • The use of profanity.  I'm not easily bothered by it, but for such a powerful work, the cussing was little much.  Unlike the other book I read by this author, she does go over into "drunk uncle" level cussing.
Takeaway:  This is a secular work, but I wish church leaders would read it and implement it.  In fact, I wish every leader who wants to improve would take the time to partake of this tome.  Dr. Brown points out so much of what is wrong in the traditional approach to leadership.  The "never let them see you sweat" approach to leadership does more harm than good.  The use of shame to keep direct reports afraid and in line only sends the best workers to the competition.  Being the impersonal "boss," rather than a truly caring leader doesn't inspire anyone to go out of their way to meet your expectations. 

No, it's not a leadership book per se, but it's useful for that area of life.  It's not a parenting book, but it would help parents.  This book is useful for anyone wanting to live an authentic life.  I will definitely be purchasing my own personal copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment