Saturday, December 1, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 10 [My Mythical Year]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.
 

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 10:
  • Today was our church's annual Christmas Shop.  This is a wonderful ministry to children in our area who might not otherwise get any toys for Christmas.  I'm so thankful to get to participate at all.  The forecast called for snow this weekend. I prayed all week that it would hold off.  It did.  This year, I helped with gift wrapping.  It's the first time in living memory that I've used a whole roll of transparent tape in one sitting.  Hey, I believe in tape.  It was so much fun to see all the wonderful toys the children will joyfully unwrap Christmas day.
  • I'm thankful that I did maintain my Southern charm and didn't go ghetto thug on someone at the Christmas Shop.  I actually heard a lady say loud enough for everyone within four square miles to hear (she did NOT know how to whisper): "Well, it's not like we're wrapping for family and friends.  It's not that important."

  • Though today marked the end of my alma mater's (JSU Gamecocks) football season, my Crimson Tide defeated the Georgia Bulldogs for the SEC Championship.  So, thankfully, there is more football to be had.  Roll Tide!

Today's Throwback Thanks goes to the late Dr. David L. Walters who I had the honor of playing in the Marching Southerners under his direction in 1990.  He also conducted and instructed us through some of his compositions during my stint in the Calhoun County Community Band.  My favorite line of his: "Other than wrong notes and bad intonation, it wasn't too bad."  He was always so gentle and encouraging to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment