Getting outside....
Update on the sunflower. The original bloom has faded, but new ones kept popping up. So for a little while longer I got to see these smiling friends on my morning walk. The last time I went back, all the friends were gone. I'm assuming that after the flowers were spent and no new ones bloomed, the grounds keepers took up the plant. That's sad; they should have left it so the birds could have the seeds, but oh well.
The lavender is still thriving.
Caught this magpie (I think) on a limb during a walk.
Favorite quote(s) of the week...
Who am I? They often tell me
I step out from my cell
calm and cheerful and poised,
like a squire from his manor.
Who am I? They often tell me
I speak with my guards
freely, friendly and clear,
as though I were the one in charge.
Who am I? They also tell me
I bear days of calamity
serenely, smiling and proud,
like one accustomed to victory.
Am I really what others say of me?
Or am I only what I know of myself?
Restless, yearning, sick, like a caged bird,
struggling for life breath, as if I were being strangled,
starving for colors, for flowers, for birdsong,
thirsting for kind words, human closeness,
shaking with rage at power lust and pettiest insult,
tossed about, waiting for great things to happen,
helplessly fearing for friends so far away,
too tired and empty to pray, to think, to work,
weary and ready to take my leave of it all?
Who am I? This one or the other?
Am I this one today and tomorrow another?
Am I both at once? Before others a hypocrite
and in my own eyes a pitiful, whimpering weakling?
Or is what remains in me like a defeated army,
Fleeing in disarray from victory already won?
Who am I? They mock me, these lonely questions of mine.
Whoever I am, thou knowest me; O God, I am thine! - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
![]() |
| George MacDonald, Diary of an Old Soul, p. 194. |
![]() |
Join the fun! Come on over to for the Hodgepodge link-up! |
Several years ago I took a train trip from Denver to Grand Junction, Colorado for work. I didn't feel well, so the trip wasn't as fun as it could have been, but it was still pleasant. I wouldn't mind another train trip; I'm just not sure of the destination yet.
Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate.
This is going to sound incredibly selfish and probably childish, but I'm happy when my birthday is a big deal to those I love. Now, big deal doesn't mean that it has to be expensive or extravagant. My birthday is right around Memorial Day, so I celebrate by taking the whole week off (this year two weeks) to relax and play.
Would I like a party? Sure. In 2027 I will turn 55 so I figure that's an important enough milestone. I've been debating on whether it's tacky--or even practical--to throw myself a party. Yes, it's my birthday, but I want the party to be a way to honor anyone who attends. Like a child, I want to give away fun party bags or something like that.
I'm not hard to please...or entertain, apparently.
What I've read since my last digest...
- Unspoken Sermons: Series 1 by George MacDonald ✮✮✮1/2 (Category: My Inklings Summer).
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett ✮✮✮✮ (Category: Kiddie Lit).
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
- Unspoken Sermons: Series 2 by George MacDonald
My current "crock pot" reads (slow and steady reads that will take a while):
- Diary of an Old Soul by George MacDonald
- The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy L. Sayers
- The Courage to Create by Rollo May
Recent blog posts...
- My previous digest, "Leaning In Without Falling Over" is here.
- My latest book review (revisited) of The Turquoise Table by Kristin Schell is here.
- Government Cheese: The Weekly Hodgepodge is here.
- Five Minute Friday: "Lazy." is here.
- My "2026 Baby Got Stacks" reading challenge is here. (Updated regularly).
- My "26 for 2026" challenge is here. (Updated regularly)
- My "26 for 2026" art challenge is here. (Updated regularly).
From the Workshop...
- All who read my blogs.
- Beautiful cooler weather.
- Ice packs.
- Text reminders about appointments even though they annoy me sometimes.
- Door stops.
- The correction of a dangerous traffic situation. A confusing two-way stop was converted to a four-way stop. There have been several accidents and near misses at that intersection.
- Indoor plumbing.
- Parks.
- Gift cards.
- Paper napkins that work in a pinch.












No comments:
Post a Comment