Sunday, September 9, 2018

Aluminum Anniversary: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook
 

 
For Today:  Sunday, September 9 , 2018

Outside my window   Fall is definitely in the air. 

I am thinking... 
  • ...about modern Christian/worship music.  After being part of worship teams for more than thirty years, I can safely say that I'll be glad when it goes back to sounding like 80's music.  Yeah, I know I sound like an old fart, but hear me out.  In the 80's (and to a certain extent in the 90's), the majority of Christian/worship music was a celebration of who Jesus is and all that He has done and continues to do in our lives.  We worshipped and praised with reckless abandon.  Now, all the female singers I hear on the airwaves are trying to sound like Adele (depressive tone and all), with every song sounding like God is mad at everybody.  The world beats us down enough; we don't need to add to it.  Can we get back to celebrating?  Please?
  • ...about friendships and how to become more successful at establishing them.
  • ...about home.
  • ...about whether I'm going to do the 31 days of 5 minute free writes challenge this year.  I looked at the list of prompts and nothing has inspired me yet.  Well, I have time.  If nothing strikes my fancy, I'm not going to pressure myself to come up with something.  I'll just bow out this year.

I am thankful...
  • ...for every new day.  Lamentations 3:22-23 - It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
  • ...for finally finding a suitable denim vest for my Mythical merit badges.  Thank you ARC Thrift Store on Colfax.
 


  • ...for this


July marked my Aluminum anniversary of recovery.  I finally made it to CR to pick up my chip last weekend.  It's hard to fathom that it's been ten years.  It hasn't been easy, but it's been worth it.  Here's to ten more years of doing the next right thing.

From the Workshop... In my last daybook, I mentioned a new charity project opportunity.  Please click here for more information and to get involved.

From Auntie's Test Kitchen

I had a rough go at  Letter L in my A-Z challenge.
 
I am reading...
  • Knowing God Intimately by Joyce Meyer.
And one for the DNF (did not finish) pile:
  • Matthew Henry's Precise Commentary of the Bible by Matthew Henry.  Please see my comments here.

I am learning...
  • Apparently, I've still not fully acclimated to Colorado's climate.  Unlike Alabama, Colorado doesn't have many bugs to deal with.  Yet every time I try to sit outside, I itch and swat like there's something on me.  It's all psychosomatic...and weird.  I'm homesick, but not for chiggers, ants, and six-foot mosquitoes.
  • I'm learning that if I'm not happy with a piece of art I'm creating, I don't have to keep trying to make it work.  It's the same feeling as attempting to plow  through a book I don't like.  I gave myself permission to have a DNF (did not finish) pile for books I didn't care for.  No, I don't need to create a DNF pile of art, but I can repurpose it--I can paint over a painting I don't like or "frog" a crocheted or knitted piece and create something else out of the yarn.  A painting sat on my table for nearly 3 months because I didn't like it.  Last night, I finally painted over it.  That was more satisfying that letting it sit there unfinished.

Favorite quote(s) of the week

I was in the breakroom at work when a coworker noticed my Ear Biscuits mug (pictured here).  He asked me "What are you doing; drinking mayonnaise?"  I said to him, "No.  I'm Southern, but not quite THAT Southern."

"Unfortunately, I have an Oakland face with an L.A. booty." - Auntie's Musings

Dove Commercial:  "If your skin had a wash tag, what would it say?"
Auntie:  "Ashy: needs lots of lotion."

"In my family, you know, my Dad had a philosophy: 'When something's wrong with the car, you take it to the guy with the mullet.'" - Rhett McLaughlin, Good Morning Chia Lincoln episode 28.

"As Christians, we have a right to be spiritually excited.  We get excited about all kinds of other things, so why shouldn't we be excited about our relationship with God?" - Joyce Meyer, Knowing God Intimately p. 129

I am looking forward to... 
  • Seeing our new church building.  I didn't go to the open house.  Good thing too; over 1000 people showed up for and we haven't built the extra parking yet.  It would have been a stressful nightmare if I'd attempted it. 
  • While I'm not looking forward to the cold winter months, I am looking forward to the holidays.  I honestly don't know why, but I'm feeling hopeful.
And Now For Something Totally Different:

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Rain


 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment