Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Happy Meal: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Come on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge link-up!


Let's all think happy thoughts...share one of yours here.





There's a Chinese proverb that says, "If you want happiness for an hour take a nap, if you want happiness for a day-go fishing...." What say you? If you want happiness for a day _____________.
Create something.  Whether it's visual art like a painting or a stitched project, or creativity with words, or to "make melody in your heart" (Ephesians 5:19),  creativity is the spark of joy and happiness.

Where do you go to decompress from the world around you?
Physically, I go to the Ladiga Trail for a walk or ride.  In my mind, I go into the pages of a book.
What song never fails to make you happy? 
(See question one and add Weird Al's White and Nerdy to it.) I can tell when my mood is going into the toilet when I don't want to listen to anything but the rattling of my own head.  Not a great place to be.  Fortunately, I don't go there very often and praise God, lately "there" doesn't last very long.
Wednesday is National Fast Food Day. Should that be a thing? Apparently it is, so tell us what's the last 'fast food' you consumed? If you were putting together your own version of a 'happy meal' what would you include? 
Everything else is a "thing," so why not?  The last fast food I consumed was a McDonald's bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit this morning. (Yeah, I need to go to the store.)  Okay, my happy meal would consist of a piece of original recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken, a honey butter biscuit (or two) from Church's Chicken, hashbrown casserole from Cracker Barrel, my mama's turnip green / poke salad mix (she knows how to prepare poke salad without killing anyone), a Coca-Cola from a tap rather than a can or bottle (tastes better and has more fizz), and for dessert:  cheesecake.  Yeah, I know it's worth about four million calories, but I can fantasize can't I?
In a few sentences tell us why you blog.
I blog to share ideas and create with words.  I blog because it's both cathartic and fun.  I blog for connection outside my own little world and to make friends.
List seven things you're feeling especially grateful for today. 
  1. The mercy and grace of God.
  2. I still have a roof over my head and food to eat.
  3. My car is still holding up.
  4. Cooler weather.
  5. Increased strength and vitality.
  6. My job.
  7. Being able speak to far away friends over the internet.
Insert your own random thought here.
I usually share a song right about now, but I've already shared some.  Oh dear.  Well, until next week then.

9 comments:

  1. I do like 'Don't worry, be happy.' Can't help smiling when I hear that one. I enjoyed reading your list of seven gratefuls. I can agree. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what poke salad is, but I like greens. Is it greens? My daughter's in-laws grow collards and hubs is going to pick some and cook them for Thanksgiving. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically Poke Salad (Phytolacca Americana) is a poisonous weed. However, when it is washed and cooked the proper number of times, it's tasty...and safe.

      Delete
  3. I really like your answer for #2. I am a knitter, and I take great joy in making things for others. I used to be product-oriented. Over the years, I've grown to enjoy the process...the learning that happens when I encounter a new stitch or have to find a unique way to fix a problem. Enjoyed your blog! It was my first time visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nathalie. Yes, the learning process is nearly as fun as the finished product.

      Delete
  4. Love your happy meal version! Great list of things you are grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with making something creative. Working in my home studio creating jewelry is very relaxing and satisfying. Your mind can't wander to your worries when you're using a blowtorch! Pharrell's "Happy" is one of my favorites too.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blowtorch?! Man, and I thought a sewing machine was dangerous. :)

      Delete