Thursday, November 17, 2016

Auntie's 2016 Bookwom Challenge 17

Book:  The Holy Bible:  New Living Translation (NLT).

Info: Copyright 2013,  Carol Stream, IL:  Tyndale House Publishers

Where acquired: Purchased at Books-A-Million.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags): # # # #

What it's about: This is a large print version of a modern English translation of the Old and New Testaments.  I've read several passages from this Bible version in the context of other Scripture-based literature, but I'd never sat down and read the whole thing from cover to cover.

What I Liked:
  • Though my favorite Bible translation is still the King James Version, the more modern language of the NLT does help clarify some of the more complicated passages.
  • The larger print was easy on the eyes.
  • OK, so I liked the pink cover.  What?  I'm a girl.
What I didn’t like: 
  • Nothing.
Takeaway:  I know this review is short and sketchy, however, reading the Bible isn't like reading any other book.  The text is much more powerful and meaningful than that.  I think this version of the Bible would be great for anyone who is new to reading the Scriptures.  However, this is not a study Bible per se in that it gives the clarity of a paraphrase to passages, but not the depth of a literal translation.  I'll definitely continue to use it as a reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment