Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Auntie's 2016 Bookworm Challenge 01

Book: The Tragedy of Hamlet:  Prince of Denmark.
 
Author: William Shakespeare

Info: Copyright 1958:  New York:  Simon and Schuster

Where acquired: Audio library checkout.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags): # # # #

What it's about:  Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, sinks into a tragic depression and desperate actions as he plots to avenge his father's murder.

Favorite Quotes: 

"O, there has been much throwing about of brains."

"Frailty, thy name is woman!"

"Give me leave. Here lies the water; good: here
stands the man; good; if the man go to this water,
and drown himself, it is, will he, nill he, he
goes,--mark you that; but if the water come to him
and drown him, he drowns not himself: argal, he
that is not guilty of his own death shortens not his own life."

This passage:

HAMLET : How long will a man lie i' the earth ere he rot?

First Clown : I' faith, if he be not rotten before he die--as we
have many pocky corses now-a-days, that will scarce
hold the laying in--he will last you some eight year
or nine year: a tanner will last you nine year.

HAMLET: Why he more than another?

First Clown:  Why, sir, his hide is so tanned with his trade, that
he will keep out water a great while; and your water
is a sore decayer of your whoreson dead body.

What I Liked:
  • The narrator did not simply "read" the play; he spoke with proper emphasis and diversity of characters.  His English accent also helped.
  • Like The Tragedy of MacBeth, this play included a section of comic relief; the clowns in the graveyard.  Yes, it's a tragedy, but all tragedy needs some comedy to keep it from being completely depressing.
What I didn’t like: 
  • A few sections were hard to follow.  For example, I didn't get the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (which sounds like a law firm).  Why were they killed? How?
  • What happened to Bernardo and Francisco (whose names kept changing in the play from what I could tell)?  They seemed to simply vanish.
To sum up:  For several years, I wanted to get back to reading Shakespeare (I'd read a couple of his plays in high school).  The opportunity arose when a professor friend of mine invited me to his lecture on Hamlet.  I thought, "well, I'd better read it so I'll know what's going on."  I enjoyed the read and look forward to more chances to read from Shakespeare, and hopefully, to see a play in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment