Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Public Service Announcement [Auntie's Rants]

Last week, a woman was attacked on the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia.  This is the portion that connects with Alabama's Chief Ladiga Trail.  It's not secret how much I love walking/ running/ biking/ loafing on the Ladiga Trail (thus the photos).  This summer has been a hot one and I haven't been out much, but fall is coming and I plan to be out there more.

...That is until this happened.  Now some of my friends are showing concern for my being out on the trail.  However many of them don't even use the trail, constantly make excuses for not going with me, they are not available to go when I am, or they go walking/riding with each other but don't want my slowness  or clinginess to cramp their style.  I don't blame them at all.  I'm always the slowest no matter what we're doing, so going with them is just like going alone since they are too far ahead to hear me if something happened.  Plus, it's not fair of me to want people to slow down for me.  It's not just my workout; it's theirs too.

So what's a girl to do?   Stay inside in fear and stay off the trail?  That's too much like when I was a little kid and I told mom I didn't want to go outside because no one would play with me and there were bullies.  She would tell me to quit whining, get outside, and find something to do.  I'm telling myself the same thing. 

I was using a check in/out over social media to let people know I was out.  However, less and less people are even acknowledging they're seen the post, so I have no idea if anyone is looking out for me our not; but yet I keep going. 

...and keep going is the best solution for the problem.  This Saturday, several organizations including the Gadsden Runners Club are doing a "Take Back the Trail for Tina (The lady who was attacked)" ride on the Ladiga and Silver Comet Trails.  Their goal:  "We need to show strength in numbers that we will not concede our love for the outdoors because of a sick minded predator."  I will be with them in spirit.  The ride is 55 miles and I cannot ride that far yet.

I refuse to let the bully win.  I refuse to put my health in jeopardy waiting for someone to show charity in letting me ride/walk with them once in a blue moon.  I refuse to be at the mercy of fear. I eventually want to ride the whole trail, and waiting around for everyone else isn't getting that goal fulfilled.   I will, however, continue to take the best precautions I can:
  • Continue to use the check in/out.  It would be nice if y'all would check it and let me know you're there.
  • Use familiar trail areas where there are always people.
  • Never use the trail before sunrise or after dark alone.
  • Try to keep minutes on my cell phone in case of emergencies or reporting to the police that I had to jack up some goober on the trail.
  • Get faster and less clingy so I can go with others.
  • When I can afford it, get a pistol permit and a gun.
Those of you who really want to get out there--GO!  Don't let one sicko keep you from doing something healthy for yourself.  Who's with me?!

2 comments: