Saturday, May 17, 2014

Running and Laughing [30 Day Photo Blog]

God obviously has a sense of humor.  This is the second time this year I've run a 5k race after knowing about it only two days prior.  I hadn't planned on running this year because of budget constraints, but I got blessed with a chance to run it anyway.

The Anniston Lions Club's Run for Sight is one of my favorite races. 
  • Along with other projects, the proceeds from this race go toward the club's camp for children suffering from sight loss caused by complications from diabetes (diabetic retinopathy, etc).
  • Last year's race was my fastest finish so far:  46:56
  • It's the first race I've ever run in the rain a monsoon.
  • They always have cool race shirts.
I went into the race with no expectations since 1) I didn't know I was running it in time to do any training, B) I've been moving and not sure how much training I could have done anyway and 4) I've been nursing a very sore left foot that I've had to keep wrapped in an ace bandage to keep from peeing myself when I walk.  My race consisted of playing my tunes, running when I could, and speed walking when I couldn't run.  I didn't try to keep up with anyone or beat anyone.  Well, that's not exactly true.  The 90 year old guy that nearly beat me a couple of times last year didn't run this one, so I didn't have to worry about him.  Plus, I had to finish as far ahead of one person as I could.  Without naming names, I HAD to beat the person who cheated on their time card at the Gamecock Gallup last year.  Yes, you read that right, cheated.  I finished next to last ahead of this person at the Gallup and this person wrote a different time on the card, plus the race officials lost my time card, so it looked like I was last instead (can you say TACKY?).  Well, I came in nearly 2 minutes ahead of this person, so there's NO WAY this one can get messed up...we hope and pray.

My thoughts on race times:
  • If I finish at all, that's more than most people.
  • If I finish in less than 60 minutes, that's satisfactory.
  • If I finish in less than 55 minutes, I'm happy.
  • If I finish in less than 50 minutes, I'm very happy.
  • If I finish in less than 45 minutes, I'm ECSTATIC!
  • If I finish in a time that actually wins me something, I may run naked through the parking lot.
I finished in 55:09, so I had to happily keep my clothes on.  :)


I told you they had cool shirts.




Me and my running buddy Jimmy
the Woolly Booger

No comments:

Post a Comment