Thursday, May 29, 2014

Celebrations I: Pre-Birthday Ups and Downs [30-Day Photo Blog]

No, we ain't right.
Woke up in a very blue mood today.  My emotional downspin had nothing to do with my upcoming birthday.  I actually enjoy getting older;  it beats being dead.  No, my mood was about something that happened last night, but that's not important right now.

My buddy Michelle, her son, Caleb, and her
grandmother, Sue threw me a little pre-birthday celebration complete with cupcakes, ice cream, and presents.  My presents were a fluorescent green/yellow T-shirt (so I can be seen on the bike trial from Piedmont) and some.... err.... ah.... unmentionables that will make my riding experience more enjoyable (and less chaffing). 


It was a little early Christmas crafting in Auntie's Workshop today.  Had a customer who wanted a couple of my stuffed gingerbread men.  That got me to thinking that maybe I need to get together a "Christmas in July" sale.  Do people still buy like that?

No, my feet aren't ashy.
That's a tan line.
Tonight, I trucked on over to Anniston High School's graduation.  My grandniece, Shantaylor, and her cousins, Ferendez, and Breon celebrated the moving of the tassel tonight.  I don't know why I thought I would find a close parking space.  Yes, I went an hour early, but I forgot that although Lott-Mosby Memorial Stadium has decent bathrooms, they have no parking to speak of.  I had to park a quarter of a mile away.  Here's to adding to my ARC mileage.  Good thing I had my biking shoes (aka, my ex running shoes) in the car.  By the way, to the hood rats who had the nerve to openly laugh at my wearing athletic shoes with my dress, unlike SOME people, I had absolutely nothing to prove by wearing little cute shoes that I can't walk that far in and can't climb or descend the stadium steps in.

Anyway, I had a great time at the ceremony.  It was short and to the point.  There were several unique things I liked about it.
  • The parents had balloons they released when their child's name was called.  I'd never seen that before.  I don't know if the balloons contained messages or not, but it was still a loving gesture.
  • There was nothing in the program that said, "hold all applause until all names have been called." I've been to many different types of graduations, and never saw this stupid rule followed anyway. Now a kindergarten graduation, yes, but high school or college, no way.  Besides, who wants to be the kid no one applauds for?  It's not a good feeling.
  • Along with the usual "Pomp and Circumstance" and the singing of the Alma Mater, the school's choir did a very upbeat, non traditional song called "Happy."  I'd never heard it before and thought is was great.  Sorry, but I've played or sat through the music of several ceremonies that leave me wondering who died?  This is a celebration!  They should have marched out to this:

2 comments:

  1. That sounds just fine! If those punks didn't like your shoes, let them have sex with themselves! It sounds as if you did well with parking....there have been places I NEVER went, because there was no way to park. God bless you!!! Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that if I could walk/run several miles at a stretch, hoofing it a quarter mile each way wasn't going to be a problem.

      Delete