Saturday, January 4, 2014

One Word: Metamorphosis

One of my fellow Five Minute Friday contributors, Annie Rim posted this question on her blog:

If you could choose one word for your coming year, what would it be?

I think my one word for 2014 would be "metamorphosis."  The definition of metamorphosis is "a profound change in form from one stage to the next in the life history of an organism; any complete change in appearance, character, circumstances, etc."

Of course, the best example of metamorphosis is the butterfly's transformation from caterpillar to pupa to adult butterfly.  I feel like a caterpillar that's been in the cocoon far too long.  It's time for the inward transformations I've been making to break out and soar.

I'm taking the first two weeks of the year to evaluate, regroup, and set specific strategies for bringing my inward transformation to the outside.  As I said in my post "Reflect:"
I would just like the image that is reflected back at me to be the image I see of myself inside.  In the mirror, in my external life, everywhere.  I want a better reflection staring back at me.  Not one of what should have been, but one that is all that I really am and really meant to be.
Notice I said specific strategies not "New Year's resolutions."  Resolutions statistically only last until around Valentine's Day.  The only benefit of that is the gym will only be crowded for about six weeks.

Look, let's be real.  I've put more than five years into my recovery, dealing with the internal crap in my life.  I've put in several years of exercising and trying to learn to eat right.  I've been job hunting (in the midst of a temporarily failed business) for nearly two years.  The results of all this effort are outstandingly mediocre.  SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE!  The beauty of the butterfly has got to emerge.  It can't stay locked in the cocoon forever.  Let's get 'er done!

So, If you could choose one word for your coming year, what would it be?

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to check in to see how Metamorphosis was coming along. :) Wishing you a Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working at it, Annie. I'm trying to keep my mind moving in the right direction. If I keep my mind right, the rest will fall into place.

      Delete