Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cup 'O Soup: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Shout out to From This Side of the Pond for the Hodgepodge questions.


Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English.  Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen).  Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-

selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
The phrase "couldn't care less" should be eliminated.  Most people don't use it right anyway.  They usually say "could care less," which is a misuse.  Most of the words on the list are OK; it is what the words represent that make me wish they would disappear (e.g. Obamacare and twerk).
What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
The Bible correspondence course I started several years ago.
When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
I made vegetable soup about two weeks ago.  I could sure go for a bowl of soup right now (we've had several days of frigid temps here in Alabama).  My favorite soups are Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and the egg drop soup from The Golden Dragon; one of our local Chinese restaurants.
Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
WARNING:  This is where Auntie will now vent.  Snow job, definitely.  First off, I had to look up what snow job meant.  From the online urban dictionary:  "An effort to deceive, overwhelm, or persuade with insincere talk, especially flattery."  This is something that is especially troubling to me lately. Last week, I was asked by someone in an organization I occasionally assist if I wanted to go to a conference in February.  I said no. They said, "well, you're a leader, so you need to go."  Oh, this is the week I get to be labeled a leader?  I'm labeled as dog crap the rest of the time.  What gives?  (this was not something I thought, I actually said it)  Now, to be fair, the person who asked was not the culprit; the person he was asking for was the culprit.  His answer, "Well, the only thing keeping you from being a leader is you."  Do what?
As I said in a post from December:  I don't know if I have administrative gifts or not.  I've not been given the opportunity to find out.  Anytime I've been in a leadership type role, those who know they are such gifted overran any opportunities I had to assert myself or to be a part of the decision making process.  So, I just kind of go along to get along now.  It's like this, don't tell me I'm a vital leader in your business/organization then take away any power I would have to be a leader. 
The snow job comes in when I'm flattered about my gifts and talents because the real leadership wants me to do something.  And no, I don't mind doing what I do--that's fun.  BUT don't make me a "leader" when it is simply to make you look good, but never allow me to be a part of the real leadership process.   
What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Muppets from Space was pretty funny.  I watched it with my preschool classes about 35 times.  I need to buy myself a copy and watch it again.  I haven't seen it in a while.
In general, would you say you're clumsy?
Not really.  I'm not accident prone.  It's just that on the rare occasion that I have a misstep, it tends to be catastrophic and painful.
Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan?  What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least?  Click here for a list of his songs.
I'm not really an Elvis fan (no, I promise I'm not in Al Queda).  In high school we played the song All Shook Up during our halftime show.  That's about it.
Insert your own random thought here.
My one word for the new year...

No comments:

Post a Comment