Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya...and I Have a Jherri Curl: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge questions.


It was decided on Sunday the Denver Broncos will meet the Seattle Seahawks in this year's  Superbowl. So when was the last time you bowled? Not where you thought this question was going is it?  Do you like to bowl? Are you any good?
The last time I bowled was about 2 years ago with a group from Celebrate Recovery.  I like to bowl, though I'm terrible at it--I think my bowling average is like 35 or something.  I just don't like that I only get to go every few years.   The only people I know who bowl regularly are part of a league.  My bowling is not good enough for that.  Sorry, but going by myself is no fun.
Should sports stars be role models?
To reiterate what I said in my very first Hodgepodge post.  I think everyone should strive to be good role models, not just athletes.  I think sometimes athletes, like actors or musicians, get put on too high of a pedestal.  We often forget that these are real people too with real pain and real flaws.  Now, don’t get me wrong, if someone is deliberately acting a fool and does not even remotely want to change, they need to get themselves together.  Someone who makes a mistake and is working to try to correct it needs to be encouraged, not berated.
January is National Oatmeal month...are you a fan? How do you like your oats?
I used to really like oatmeal, but something happened the last time I bought some.  It didn't taste good at all.  No matter what I put in it, I just couldn't eat it.  I may try again this summer when the fruit is fresher and I can try some new flavors.  For right now, I'll stick with grits for a warm, creamy breakfast.
Oatmeal.  Reminds me of a joke.  "Aren't you getting tired of Wilfred Brimley telling you what the right thing is to do?" - Mike Warnke
What is one book on your reading list for 2014?
Real Christianity by William Wilberforce.  I was given this book years ago and never read it. I'm taking up Jon Acuff's Empty Shelf Challenge in hopes of reading more books this year.  BTW- if you want to follow my progress on this challenge, I'll be posting updates on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/sdmadd1/jon-acuffs-empty-shelf-challenge/) and, most likely, writing reviews here on my blog.
What would you like your future self to say to your present self?
"Don't stop before the miracle happens!"
When scrolling through the TV guide, what is one movie title that makes you want to stop, grab the popcorn, and watch for a while?
That's easy.  The Princess Bride.  I absolutely love that movie.  "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.  STOP SAYING THAT!"

What are two style trends you hope never come back into fashion?
Bell bottoms and Jherri Curls.  Ready for the World's Oh Sheila anyone?  They've got some serious Jherri Curls in this video.
 
Insert your own random thought here.
On the subject of fashion.  Today, I watched the makeover episode of The Biggest Loser (thanks hulu.com).  I don't know a thing about fashion, but I learned something from fashion consultant Tim Gunn during this show.  He purposefully did not put the contestants in the same types of clothes they wore when they were overweight.  He and the hair stylist didn't want them to see just a prettier version of the same overweight person. 
This makes me think about my own journey.  I'm in a size I haven't worn in ages.  I've been that size for almost year and I still look at those clothes in my closet and think that's too small.  There's no way I can wear that--although they do fit.  I think when I get to the point that I can go to a real store (not a thrift store) and look for and pick out what I want, my mentality will change.  I am thankful for what I have, but still...
 

4 comments:

  1. I love the makeover week on Biggest Loser. I was happy to see that beard go! He looked at least ten years younger, like a different man : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your journey! I'm so glad that you can already be so proud of who you are and recognize your accomplishments! And AWESOME movie! I love that even my kids know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. I've seen that movie so many times I've got it memorized. :)

      Delete