Monday, December 24, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 33 [My Mythical Year]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 33

Last Christmas Eve, I was experiencing my first big Colorado snow and didn't make it to our Carols and Candlelight service.  As much as I like the idea of a white Christmas, I wanted to make it to service.  Blessedly, both Lakewood and Aurora had good weather.

In case you didn't watch the video from Jerry Jenkins I shared earlier, one of the questions he asks the audience is whether the Gospel message still moved them.  At the time, my truthful answer was "yes and no."  Yes, because I'm always thankful for Christ's life and sacrifice.  No, because sometimes I still allow life's circumstances to harden my heart.  Life is looking up for me, but some things are still very hard.  Plus, sometimes I get caught in the frustrating trap of trying to live out New Testament Christianity under Old Testament rules. 

The service tonight was a glorious shift in perspective.

This is the first Christmas service in years where I had no responsibilities; I wasn't on the worship team, in the choir, playing handbells, or reciting lines from a play.  I was in the congregation enjoying the festivities.  The beauty of the carols, the lighting of the Christ candle on the Advent wreath, the special song with the kids in the congregation singing while jangling their parent's keys as jingle bells--it was all so pleasantly overwhelming that I couldn't hold my emotions in check anymore.  By the time we lit our candles and started singing Silent Night, all I could do was cry.

So, does the Gospel still move me?  Thankfully, YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment