Friday, December 14, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 23 [My Mythical Year] [101 in 1001 v.2]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 23

The thankful theme for today is surprises.  CCU had their Strategic Priorities Workshop--a campus-wide meeting we have several times each regular semester.  This month, our speaker was Jerry B. Jenkins.  Yes, the very Jerry B. Jenkins who co-wrote the Left Behind series (none of which, sad to say, I have read--maybe next year).  Sorry, but just because the guy is a famous author doesn't mean he can speak well.  So, I prepared for the worst.  His speech was phenomenal.


Speech starts around the 41:00 mark.
 
The next surprise occurred after Mr. Jenkins' speech.  The original agenda called for us to immediately go to another part of campus for a Christmas luncheon (we did that last year).  Nope, we were all surprised with a little bonus money and the rest of the day off.  Hot diggidy!
 
Today, I'm also thankful for a new working cell phone.  My old phone has been on death's door for quite some time, but I kept trying to make it work.  I finally bit the bullet today and went to the T-Mobile store and purchased a replacement.  The transition wasn't as difficult as I thought I would be (the price was).  None of the buttons, input jacks and icons are in the same place, but I think I can adapt.  Quite frankly, I wish I'd done this sooner.  Now, maybe my posts will start having some pictures.
 
And speaking of phones...
 
Today's throwback thanks go to my niece, Cassandra.  She was the one who forced my hand concerning a smartphone.  For years, I had a flip phone (what I called my Verizon Ghetto Phone) and didn't think I needed a contraption that did more than make phone calls.  However, I was wrong.  All the things I needed--communication, GPS, music, etc.--were in one device instead of a bag full of electronic gadgets.  Thanks to my girl for pulling me out of my "old fart" mentality and helping me to step into the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment