Sunday, December 23, 2018

Baby, It's Tepid Outside: The Simple Woman's Daybook [40 Days of Throwback Thanks] [My Mythical Year]

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook


For Today:  Sunday, December 23, 2018

Outside my window  

Though the days are now on the upswing in length, the weather is gearing up for snow.  I'm not sure if we'll get a white Christmas like last year, but there is frozen precipitation in the forecast this week.

I am thankful...


See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 29-32

Today's throwback thanks goes to all of my Thunderbabies.  One of my favorite jobs was my decade-long stint teaching preschool and working in the Aftercare program at Jacksonville (AL) Christian Academy.  Some people thought that my having no children of my own was a sad thing.  However, it made me able to put more into these babies and enjoy it much more.  This season always brings to mind our annual class Christmas party.  Those parties were my opportunity to spoil the kids rotten.  We'd play, eat, and laugh all day.

My time at JCA reminds me of a passage of Scripture in Isaiah 54.  Verse one says, "Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the Lord."  God gave me so many children to love.  I thank my Thunderbabies for letting me love them and for loving me back.

From the Workshop...

I'm working on some unfinished projects and formulating some new ones for the upcoming year.  It's not too late to get involved in "Auntie's Baby Shower in a Bag" that benefits local pro-life crisis pregnancy centers.

From Auntie's Test Kitchen

Because of several holiday gatherings at work, I broke out a couple of my tried and true baking recipes.  They turned out well, but I'm still not sure if I'm being hypocritical by baking sweets for others when I really don't need them myself.  Oh well, it's over now.  I'm looking forward to new recipe experiments in the coming year.

I am reading... 
  • Waiting for the Word by Malcolm Guite.
  • Welcome to God's Family by Kenneth Hagin Sr. 
  • Cricket on the Hearth and Other Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens.

Books I've finished since my last Daybook:
  • A Texas Sky by Lori Wick.
  • City Girl by Lori Wick.
  • Shepherd's Abiding by Jan Karon.
  • The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott
I am learning...
  • ... I'm horrible at putting a duvet in the cover.  I'm used to comforters, so I'm new to the whole duvet thing.  It's like wrestling a toddler into a pair of dress shoes.  There must be some trick to it.  If anyone knows, can you share it with me?
  • ...I don't hate window shopping.  For as long as I can remember, I've always claimed to hate window shopping.  Shopping without money seemed so stressful, counterproductive, and depressing to me.  Recently, I was shopping with a friend and figured out what the problem was.  It's not window shopping I don't like; it's hopeless window shopping.  Looking in stores and dreaming about making purchases and creating beauty in my life isn't a hopeless task like it was when I was younger...and poorer. 
Favorite quote(s) of the week

"I just want to say this about Jesus to somebody this morning. There is no end to His goodness. No bottom to the well. You can't wear Him out. He's not running low. He's not in a bad mood because it's you again. 'For from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.' Jn1:16" - Beth Moore via Twitter

On charcoal grilling: "I'm getting heat flashes just thinking about it. I'm like a woman going through menopause. That's how manly I am right now" ~ Charles "Link" Neal, Good Mythical Morning, episode 158.

"Laughter is like farting out of your mouth." - Charles "Link" Neal, 2013
 
From Auntie's Musings: 
Dear Denver Broncos,

If you want me to become a fan, there are three things you must do.

1. Play the game better than you fistfight with the Raiders (and everybody else).
2. Change your team colors; you look too much like Auburn University. #ick
3. Have at least as good a record as the University of Alabama. #RollTide A 6-8 win/loss record ain't gonna cut it....


Love, Auntie
I am looking forward to... 
  • My Christmas Staycation.  I'm off for the next two weeks.  I hope to spend the time tying up loose ends and thoroughly enjoying myself.
  •  Our Carols and Candlelight service on Christmas Eve.  I missed last year's due to weather.
  • Setting goals for 2019. 
  • Feeling better.  I've been sick for several days.  I thought it was just from the dry air (I've still not found an affordable humidifier), but it's turned into a full-fledged bad cold.

And Now For Something Totally Different:





 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment