Wednesday, December 5, 2018

40 Days of Throwback Thanks: Day 14 [My Mythical Year]

See my post here for more information on My Mythical Year.
 

40 Days of Throwback Thanks


Day 14

I had one of those moments today.  One of those moments of overwhelming thankfulness to God.  One of those caresses of the overwhelm that brought tears over something so simple that most take it for granted.

Not I, said Auntie.

It's late evening.  I'm sitting on the couch finishing up a book I'd started months ago, listening to quiet instrumental Christmas music, sipping on leftover coffee from this morning's pot, and it hit me.  As I kept reading, the words blurred on the page as joyful tears spilled down my face.

Reading.  I'm so thankful to God for reading.  But not just any reading--I was reading normal print in a normal book like everyone else.  Yes, I've been able to do that for years now, but for some reason, the wondrous grace of God's healing gift took me over.

Those of you who've read my blog for any length of time, know that I'm always very thankful for the ability to read.  However, the story behind it is not quite as simple as understanding words on a page.  I learned to read simple words by the time I was four years old, most likely after my first eye surgery.  So, knowing how to interpret words on paper was never my problem; actually seeing the words to interpret them was my biggest issue.

I went through grade school, high school, and undergraduate school relying heavily on audio forms of reading and large print materials.  Trying to decipher standard print was a headache-inducing nightmare. 

After being diagnosed with glaucoma in the early 90's and finding the right treatments for it, things slowly started to improve.  Less pressure on my optic nerve meant better focus and less pain.  Eventually, I was able to love reading physical books again.

I know I've only scratched the surface of my story, but anyone who grew up with me knows the magnitude of this miracle and why I am so thankful.  Yes, I sill enjoy audiobooks and the occasional large print selection when my eyes are tired from being in front of a computer screen all day.  However, those are mere supplements.

Reading.  Today, I am thankful for reading.

Today's Throwback Thanks goes to every library and librarian I've ever come in contact with.  From the school library to the Little Free Libraries, from Jacksonville (AL) Public Library to Jefferson County (CO) Library, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment