Monday, January 8, 2018

Mind, Mood, and Attitude: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Monday, January 8, 2018
 
 
Outside my window…a mild but cloudy day in the mid 50’s.
 
I am thinking…about the new year.   Mentally, I haven’t caught up with the fact that a new year has started.  I thought my Christmas vacation would be a reset, but it wasn’t.  I’m not anxious or anything, I’ve just not settled into 2018 like I thought I should.  I’ve got goals for the year, but also feel surrounded by a lot of incomplete projects.  I know, I know, I’ve only been in my new place for two months and I can’t rush the process, but I want to finish up some things.  January might be catch-up month.  Maybe I’m just squirrelly because I’m temporarily without wheels.  For those of you who don’t read my Wednesday Hodgepodge entries, I said goodbye to the Auntiemobile this week.  She gave up the ghost just before Christmas and can’t be resurrected affordably.
 
I am thankful…for a restful Christmas vacation.  I’m thankful for the benefits of imperfect progress.  Though I finally started seeing some definite progress in my weight loss, I didn’t have a certain numeric goal in mind.  I am pleased to report that I lost 36 pounds in 2017.

 <----Before (01/17): 

246 lbs,
Bust: 53 inches
Band: 47.5 inches
Waist: 49.25 inches
Hips: 54.5 inches

After (12/17)------>

210 lbs.
Bust: 49 inches
Band: 43 inches
Waist: 43 inches
Hips: 51 inches


 
I do have a numeric goal in mind for 2018, but most importantly, I want to keep the success of 2017 going.  Plus, I’m itching to start consistently running and cycling again.
 
From the Workshop…several of my unfinished projects is staring me in the face.  As soon as I can get a few more supplies, I’ll finish up and have pictures for you.
 
I am reading
 
The Turquoise Table by Kristin Schell 
Talk To Me by Lynette Hagin
 
I am learning…that all-or-nothing thinking is one of the most damaging mindsets in our society.  This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, but couldn’t figure how to put into words.  And I still may not being explaining it well…but here goes.  The more I see it, the more it angers me.  I see it in religion, politics, and even in health strategies.  The one that saddens me the most is:  In order to be proud of one’s culture, he/she must hate people of other cultures.  I see and hear white people being shamed into apologizing to every African American or Native American they see because of past atrocities by the white man (BTW—every white person’s family didn’t own slaves or marginalize the Indians).  As a recent transplant to the Rocky Mountain region, I’m sometimes made to feel that being proud of my Southern upbringing is somehow wrong.  Most disturbing is the trend I’m seeing of my black brothers and sisters believing that in order to have pride in our African roots, we are required to hate all other races in the process (especially Caucasians).  That, dear friends, should not be.  No one should be ashamed of what color they are, or are not.  God created this rainbow of beautiful skin tones because everything being all one color would be quite boring.  He likes variety, why can’t we?


I had backed off on examining the rich history from the black community because I didn’t want my brothers and sisters from other mother lands to fear I was hating on them in the process (which I would NOT be doing).  For years, I missed so much great literature and art.  After reading Booker T.Washington and Frederick Douglass’ story and being introduced to the quilts of Gee’s Bend and the Florida Highwaymen artist’s community, I’ve wanted to know more.  I want to experience poetry, art, plays, books, and music that elevate our race without devaluing another.  Can I not do that?

Favorite quote(s) of the week


“The only thing that gets stronger by sitting is tea.” – Auntie’s Musings

“See, I don’t even know why we spend so much time judging other Christians in church because you’re only one Jesus away from hell yourself.”  Pastor Creflo Dollar Jr.


 
 I am looking forward to
  • The BCS Championship game tonight (Roll Tide!).  I actually found a Denver radio station carrying the game.
  • Having my own car again.
  • Teaching Bible study at work next Wednesday.

And now for something totally different
 
Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Motivate.

13 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your Daybook very much! Congrats on the weight loss!! That's amazing. So hard to do, so hard to just maintain. I appreciate very much your thoughts on race shaming. I'm a white southern lady and it pains my soul to think folks of color believe I hate them or that I think I'm better than anybody else. Totally agree about the 'all or nothing' mindset. Loved all the quotes. Had to laugh at the name of your car. I call mine the Grannymobile :) My hubby is a long time 'Bama fan, so we'll be rooting for them, too. Happy New Year, Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a ROLL TIDE to you, Kay!

      Thanks so much for reading.

      It is a shame that narrow minded people think that we can't celebrate the good parts of our culture. Every culture has skeletons in their closet and every culture has good things to share. It's up to the individual to decide which one he/she wants to live in.

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. I'm reading Daybooks even though I haven't posted my own yet. I really enjoyed yours and the thoughts you shared. It's very encouraging to hear of your acceptance of all races. I've never judged (for lack of a better word at the moment...it's the end of the day and I'm tired) anyone based on race, but rather on their character. One part of my heritage is a straight line back to John and Priscilla Alden. I've always been proud of being descended from such brave, strong pilgrims, but these days I'm told I should be ashamed because of how they treated the Native Americans. To the best of my knowledge, neither they nor any of their descendants in my line mistreated Native Americans or anyone else and they, for sure, didn't own slaves. My family is not one of the branches with money or power.

    Anyway, a very tired and rambling way of saying I agree with, like, and am encouraged by your beliefs about all of us being God's handiwork. He is a creative God and made us all different for a reason. We all bring something unique to this life.

    Happy New Year and I hope you get caught up this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, wonderful and so happy for your weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race for sure. I lost a huge amount of weight after having children and it took a while, but it has never come back. Thank you for writing up your daybook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss. It's encouraging to see success. I'm working on this also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your daybook entry! What a glorious and positive outlook you have on the whole each-race-should-hate-all-the-others nonsense that seems to be abundant these days. I'm so glad I popped over to read your entry. Congrats on the weight loss, and I hope you soon have a wheels again, and all the supplies you need to finish your projects. Your thoughts on the new year really resonated with me as my time off for Christmas didn't go the way I had planned at all and now it's well into January and I'm sick, disorganized and more a bit frustrated about how everything got so jumbled. BUT, God is good, my 2018 goals are still valid even if I haven't started working on them yet, and organizing the pantry can wait until I'm well. God bless you!
    Blessings,
    Mama K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. When you're well, you'll get back at it.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same about the new year but congratulations on the weight loss. Enjoyed my visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon,
    I read your Daybook last month and enjoyed it though I'm just now commenting. I didn't do daybook last month but perhaps I'll get my act together and do a February one. I agree with you about this whole race thing. It seems to be getting out of hand.
    Anyway, I plan to read more of your blog and by the way, my middle daughther is Shannon. I love the name!

    ReplyDelete