Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Book Trek 2018 - 14

Book:  Girl, Wash Your Face (Audiobook)

Author:  Rachel Hollis

Info:  Copyright 2018.  Nashville:  Thomas Nelson

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✮

Where Acquired:  Library check out.

Category: Recommendation from a friend.

What it's about Hollis tackles 20 lies women believe that keeps them from living a full life.  She uses experiences from her own life to show how the lies work and the truths that negate them.

Favorite Quote:


From the introduction:  I believe God loves each of us unconditionally, but I don't think that means we get to squander the gifts and talents he's given us simply because we're good enough already.  A caterpillar is awesome, but if the caterpillar stopped there--if she just decided that god is good enough--we would all miss out on the beautiful creature she would become.

What I liked

  • I enjoyed Hollis' bold honesty.
  • The author made me laugh with many of her stories.
  • The encouraging tone of the book was pleasant.


What I didn't like
  • I was not Hollis' target audience.  The book was written from the perspective of a wife and mom.  Much of the advice wasn't useful to me.
  • At some points, the author's tone was quite condescending.  I didn't feel that she was talking to me, but rather talking at me.
  • Many questions were left unanswered.  For example, Hollis never indicated whether her relationship with her parents ever improved.
  • He message about using alcohol was confusing.  While saying that one shouldn't need alcohol to get through a day and readily admitting that she had a drinking problem, Hollis continues to imbibe and mentions drinking numerous times throughout the text. 
  • The story about when she dated, and later fell in love with and married her husband had huge gaps.  First, he was a jerk who she finally kicked to the curb.  Then, not more than two paragraphs later, he was the best thing since sliced bread.  Do What?!
  • After all the time she spent talking about how hard she worked to get where she is, Hollis has the nerve to bring up "white privilege" -- a term I absolutely LOATHE.  Are you kidding me?

Takeaway

Honestly, at first I really hated this book and it almost went to the DNF pile. After I slogged though all the parenting chapters, it got better.  I know this sounds contradictory, but I would recommend this book to married women and moms.  For them, I believe it would be a huge encouragement.  However, it will grate the nerves of single women who don't even have marriage and family on their radars.

At first, the book reads like a dilettante whipping the "little people" into shape with her vast superior knowledge (think Gretchen Rubin).  However, the further the book goes, the more the reader realizes that Rachel Hollis is not being ostentatious or fake.  She has been through some serious trauma in her life, and freely admits it.  Her faith in God and her willingness to embrace honesty kept it from destroying her.  If nothing else, that little tidbit was worth my reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment