Friday, May 11, 2018

Five Minute Friday: "Include"




I skipped last week's prompt "adapt" because of where it took me.  This week, I attempt this prompt under duress.

Why?

Because on the most exclusive weekend of the year I have to try to come up with salient comments about inclusion.  As I shared in this week's hodgepodge:


From Pinterest


So, am I being exclusive about inclusion? Absolutely not.  As I keep saying, I love children and I'm very supportive of marriage and family.  HOWEVER, despite what your mama, your favorite author, or brother, reverend, doctor do-dad says, there is no definitive empirical data, nor Scripture for that matter, that proves marriage and family is the only option for a woman.  If churches do not realize the value of every woman in their congregations, they are doing women, themselves, and the body of Christ, a grave disservice.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I have children, but I remember the pressure from my husband's family to have a baby. They came to the hospital when the first was born and the question on everyone's lips was "When are you going to have another one?" My sisters-in-law seem to see marriage and children as the holy grail. The attitude is so ingrained in the family that all of the nieces and nephews (and my own two), and yes, the boys as well, got married and started families very early. That's 9 kids and those 9 have so far produced 17 children! My inlaws would have been in their glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad. Singles aren't the only ones who feel the pressure. I have friends who are married but can't have children, friends who are married but know they are not ready for children, and friends who have miscarried. They all have horror stories about insensitive and downright asinine comments made to them.

      Delete