Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Banjo Jazz Band: The Weekly Hodgepodge


Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
April is National Jazz Appreciation Month. Are you a fan? If so what's a favorite you'd recommend to someone new to jazz listening?

As much as I love music, I've not acquired a taste for Jazz.  I hope to attend one of my church's monthly jazz and soul worship experience services.  Maybe I'll understand and appreciate the genre more.

My issue with jazz music is a theoretical one.  Yeah, I was a music major for a time, until I figured out I could become a brain surgeon faster than I could complete Jacksonville State University's VERY thorough Music Education program.  Anyway, I've had enough music theory for it to bother me when songs don't resolve.

In case I'm going too musical nerd, listen to the end of this song and you'll understand what I mean by "doesn't resolve."


Of course the big joke with the worship teams I've played for is most of the Hillsong praise and worship songs we play don't resolve either.  We usually rework them to make them resolve.  You can't do that with jazz; it is what it is.

So, maybe it isn't the lack of resolution that's the problem.  Maybe I just haven't heard any good jazz.  All the so-called jazz I've ever heard sounds like a train wreck that ran into a pack of cats. 

Mandolin, ukulele, harp, accordion or banjo...which would you be most interested in learning to play? Or do you already play one of the instruments listed?

If I were back home, I'd say the banjo.  However, there isn't much need for banjos in Colorado.  Hmmm...maybe the ukulele?  I'd be great at parties.

Do you judge a book by it's cover? Elaborate. You may answer in either/both the literal or figurative sense of the word.

The cover of an actual book?  No.  I try not to do that with people either.  Now, if someone is acting ugly...that's a whole different story.

According to a recent study the ten most nutritious foods are-almonds, cherimoya (supposed to taste like a cross between a pineapple/banana), ocean perch, flatfish (such as flounder and halibut), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, swiss chard, pork fat (shocking! but I don't think they mean bacon), beet greens, and red snapper. Are any of these foods a regular part of your diet? Any you've never ever tasted? Which would you be most inclined to add to your diet?

OK, I've got to ask, if pork fat is nutritious, why doesn't bacon fall into the same category?  Plus, flax seeds are just as nutritious as chia seeds with more flavor, less fat (and less of them sticking in your teeth).  I think the wheel is rigged on this one.  Also, did you ever notice how the supposed "most nutritious" foods change like the March winds and are almost always obscure of ridiculously expensive?  Just sayin'.

The only item on the list I consume is almonds.

Besides a major holiday what is the most recent thing you've celebrated with your people? Tell us how.

Insert your own random thought here.


3 comments:

  1. Love your random thought! I feel the same way at times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-your random thought : ) I've had chia seeds but not flax. I used to put chia in my oatmeal but have gotten out of the habit. Interesting thoughts on jazz...I like a song to resolve itself too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete