Thursday, April 5, 2018

Book Trek 2008 - 09

Book:  Let’s All Be Brave.  (Audio Book)

Author:  Annie F. Downs

Info:  Copyright 2016.  Old Saybrook, CT:  Tantor Audio

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✮✮

Where Acquired:  Library check out. 

Category:  Impulse Reads. A couple of my friends read and reviewed the book, so I added it to my reading list.

What it's about:  Downs, using stories from her own life and experiences, encourages the reader to embrace his own version of bravery.

What I liked:

The narrator of this audio book was great.

Many of the author's experiences with bravery mirrored my own.  She seemed to understand that bravery looks different for everyone.

What I didn’t like:

Downs' treatment of singleness really rubbed me the wrong way.  The book had four stars until I got to this section.  Using terms like “unwanted season,” and treating singleness like a disease of which to survive and be cured, rather than see the beauty of a life not hindered, made me want to barf.  Like me, Downs is also Southern.  Unfortunately, she has fallen victim to Southern church culture (and as I've seen, churches in other parts of the country as well) that teaches women to worship marriage instead of Jesus.  She laments of being 33 and not married.  I guess she’ll curl up and die if she not married when she’s my age.  Good grief, she admittedly put her life on hold for ten years for fear that she would miss a marriage opportunity, yet wasn't married during that time period anyway.

Please, can someone, anyone write that there is joy in singleness and that all Christian singles over the age of 18 aren't bitter spinsters surrounded by 99 cats.  As I’ve said before, I’m not against marriage; I’m against women being taught that marriage is all they can want.  I’m against women being ostracized for having godly desires outside of marriage and motherhood.  I’m against a woman’s sexual orientation being questioned if she's not married with six children by the time she's 25.
 
Takeaway:

The book had a great start, but fell flat as a founder by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment