Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Book Trek 2018 - 10

Book:  Act Like a Success.  Think Like a Success (Audio Book)

Author:  Steve Harvey

Info:  Copyright 2014.  New York:  Harper Audio

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✮✮

Where Acquired:  Library check out.

What it's about
 In the ever-growing sea of self-help and success books, Steve Harvey puts his spin on walking out the principles of success.  Pulling from his experiences as a struggling comedian and entertainer, Harvey gives practical advice and encouragement.

Favorite Quotes:


Jordan Belfort, the author of the book and inspiration for the movie The Wolf of Wall Street said, "The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bull[expletive] story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it."

Some of you are afraid to step up into your gifts because you're too busy comparing yourself to someone else. God made you and the way you do what you do exclusively for you.  The world doesn't have time to interact with your representative; they need the real, authentic you to show up and shine your light.

I was raised by two strong parents who taught me that the world doesn't owe me anything.  They told me that if I wanted something, I need to put my head down, lift up a prayer, and get to work.

Every time you make a decision to do more, be more, want more, here comes opposition....The only cure for enemies is success....My father taught me to never take my foot off a ladder to kick at someone kicking at me.  When I do that, I am no longer climbing. 

I'm not a doctor, but I know that your health is just as much a part of your wealth as the zeros in your bank account.

What I liked:
  • While many books of this type make the author out to be a perfect specimen of success, Harvey is open and honest about his failures.
  • Though I wished the author himself had narrated the book, the gentleman who did read the audiobook was a great choice.
  • This tome was not designed for CEO's and high power executives; it was written for the average person. 
  • The advice given was simple and practical.

What I didn't like:
  • While I enjoyed the practical simplicity of Harvey's recommended action steps, I was hoping for something more outstanding.  While it's not a rehashing of someone else's work, as I've seen other authors do, the information wasn't anything I hadn't heard before.
Takeaway:
While the author's advice isn't unique, it is said in a uniquely Steve Harvey way.  I would recommend this volume for someone brand new to the success/self-help genre.  It's a great overview of how time tested success principles can work for anyone who takes them seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment