Thursday, March 8, 2018

White and Nerdy [Thursday Thirteen]


First, my life's theme song for context....


The word nerd was coined in the 1950's but I'm not sure who was the first to use the term.  I suppose I've been a nerd from the word go.  However, nerdom has changed since I was a band nerd in high school.  Some references are universal while others change like the March winds.

One of my favorite new podcasts is Beyond the Trope.  As their introduction states, it's a podcast for nerds.  While I thoroughly enjoy the show, many of their references go right over my head.  So, maybe we need to determine whether I'm truly nerdy enough or not.

Here are thirteen observations about my nerdiness (or not).

Nerdy enough?Not Nerdy enough?
Likes Star Trek from TOS to DS9. Doesn't know what fan fiction is.

Understands obscure 80's references.
Doesn't know what "steampunk" means.
Avid reader. Never read Harry Potter or Chronicles of Narnia. *
Star Wars original trilogy? Yes The new movies?  Nope.
Likes comic book superheroes (Batman, Wonder Woman etc) Doesn't know how to read comic books.

Can quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Knows nothing about Lord of the Rings.

Adam West's Batman? Absolutely
Ben Affleck as Batman?  What the heck?

Seen every adaptation of 
Whose Line is it Anyway?
What's Dr. Who?

YouTube

No TV

Has seen The Princess Bride more than 20 times.

Didn't care for Back to the Future.
Thinks Spock is awesome.
Thinks Sheldon Cooper is a butthole.
Wants a Pac-man machine.
War of Warcraft makes no sense.
Understands Microsoft products.   Baffled by Apple products.


So, you tell me, am I nerdy enough?

*Update:  I've read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  I still don't get it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia! ;) Though, you may like Lewis' Space Trilogy better. So fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my to-read list. I've just not gotten around to it.

      Delete
  2. You could have been describing me, except that I am a fan of Sheldon. (I will concede that he's a giant butthole but he makes me laugh.)

    ReplyDelete