Monday, December 4, 2017

40 Days of Gratitude: Day 13 The Simple Woman's Daybook [+ 2017 Reading Quest 29]

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Monday, December 4, 2017
 
 

Note:  If you are here just for the book review, scroll down to the "I am reading" section.  Thanks.

 

Outside my window… Cloudy and cool.  It's starting to feel like December outside.
 
I am thinking…  

  • About Christmas Day.  I've been asked by several people what my plans are for the day.  I honestly don't know.  I've been invited to several parties and open houses, plus I'm trying to figure out how to get pictures made with Santa.  I thought about just staying home that day and enjoying the quiet (of course, I will be home if it snows).  I'm just not sure yet.
  • About McDonald's.  I had a weird thing happen at a local McDonald's.  OK, pardon my ignorance, but I thought their basic menu was universal to eateries around the country.  Apparently not.  On the way to church, I stopped at one of the Aurora locations.  All I ordered was a chicken biscuit.  The girl behind the counter looked at me like I'd ordered a bugger sandwich.  She curled up her lips and said "We don't serve those."  "You don't serve a chicken biscuit?"  "No, ma'am.   I've never even had someone order one."  "Wait, what?!"  **silence** **crickets**  "OK, may I have a sausage biscuit then?"  "Sure!" **grrr**  I've been to McDonald's from Georgia to California and they ALL had chicken biscuits!  I think the girl behind the counter was smoking something (well, I am in Colorado).  Can't have nothin'!
  • About my wardrobe.  I'm in a colder climate where layering is a must and snow and ice are not anomalies.  How do I go about doing that without breaking the budget?  Not only that, but I need to get waterproof boots and these things call YakTracks so I can safely walk to work when the roads are too icy.  See, we didn't deal with this back home because if it was snowy and icy, everybody stayed home.
  • About how I'm going to get proper hair care products.  I've not found a beauty supply place yet that carries what I use.  I may end up ordering it online (and paying twice as much for it), but I've got to do something.  Buckwheat is starting to show on my head.
  • About how to safely help the homeless.  I see many out on the street corners with signs saying they are in need.  I know that some may be on the con, but that's not my call.  I saw where people make packets with food and toiletries to give out, but how can I, as a woman alone, safely do that?  I'm just not sure what to do.  There were points in my life where I was nearly homeless.  I would want someone to care.
I am thankful

I'm making an executive decision.  Since I don't have internet at home, I'm not going to keep trying to keep up a daily gratitude blog.  I will post for whatever day I can.  Even if you don't see a post, just know that I am thankful everyday of the 40 days; I just can't write about it daily online.

 
  • With nighttime temperatures in the teens and 20's this week, I'm very thankful for a nice warm place to live.
  • I'm thankful for our Pastor's new message series:
  • I'm thankful that my car continues to be up and running.
  • I'm thankful for caring friends and coworkers.
  • I'm thankful that I now have a couch and more lamps in my apartment.

From the Workshop…I'm currently in a stretch of Christmas painting. Here's one I've finished for use as a Christmas card. 



I am reading

Reduce Me to Love by Joyce Meyer
Over the Top by Zig Ziglar
The Miraculous Journey by Marty A. Bullis

Books I’ve completed since my last Daybook:
 
Book:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
 
Author: Jeff Kinney

InfoCopyright 2007: New York:  Amulet Books

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars): 

Where Acquired:  Library check out.

What it's about:  At the behest of his mom, Greg Heffley chronicles a year of middle school in his diary...err...journal.  Typical middle school problems like parents, teachers, and flaky best friends (not to mention a piece of cheese with the staying power of a cockroach) are displayed on each page in both written and cartoon/comic strip form.

Favorite Quote(s): 

Most kids wake up early on Saturday to watch cartoons are whatever, but not me.  The only reason I get out of bed at all on weekends is because eventually, I can't stand the taste of my own breath anymore. - p. 16

What I liked:
  • The Kindle Edition has real page numbers.

What I didn’t like: 
  • The font of the Kindle Edition was not scrollable, which made the book difficult to read.
  • There's so much more not to like, I'm just going to cut to the chase...
Takeaway:

I enjoy reading children's literature, even silly boy humor.  I'm not so stuffy that I don't laugh out loud at this kind of stuff.  However, unlike Captain Underpants that I read earlier this year, Diary of a Wimpy Kid was anything but funny.  The book was, in a word, annoying.  Little Greg Heffley was not a "wimpy kid" as the title implies; quite frankly, he was a little turd!

Several years ago, the Ad Council had a series of radio commercials encouraging literacy.  One of them featured a narrator reading some funny excerpts from Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Apparently, it wasn't from the first book of the series because I heard none of those funny quotes.  Even with the lack of ability to enlarge the font, fortunately, this book was a quick read.  Otherwise it would have been a DNF.

Even with my not liking the book, I wouldn't discourage a child from reading it.  Maybe they can find more humor in it that I did.  Or, maybe not.

Now, back to the Daybook...

I am learning
  • ...that apparently a money order isn't a money order.  Apparently, in some businesses, where you buy them makes a difference.  Go figure.

Favorite quote(s) of the week
 


I am looking forward to
  • My boss's Christmas open house on Sunday.
  • Part two of my Pastor's sermon series.
  • Sitting on my couch and crocheting, reading, loafing, or whatever else I want.
  • Decorating my place for Christmas.  But first, I have to go buy some decorations. 

And now for something totally different

Five Minute Friday word of the week:  Near.



Sh%t Southern Women Say, Episode 10
 
 
How 'Bama fans watched the 2017 Conference Championship


4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your daybook thoughts and photos! Thank you for sharing a slice of your life. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days where I can grab a few moments to chill on the couch. Thanks for sharing your daybook :)

    ReplyDelete