Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wait a Cotton Pickin' Minute!: The Weekly Hodgepodge


Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
What's something you'd rate a 10/10? Tell us why.

Blue Bell's new Pink Camo 'n Cream Ice Cream.  This isn't your standard Neapolitan (which is good in it's own right).  It's strawberry ice cream, milk chocolate ice cream, and white cheesecake ice cream swirled into pink camouflage.  I tried it this weekend, and it's yummy.  It was worth the splurge.  Don't worry, I won't be splurging again on something like that until at least November.

What job would you be terrible at? What makes you think so?

Speaking of food:  Food service worker.  I worked in fast food one summer and that was enough for me.  I can't imagine myself putting up with what I see waiters and waitresses go through.  Here's a hint, if you get a really good server at a restaurant, tip them well.  And don't eat anywhere that you know pools the servers' tips; that's just asking for mediocre service.   Do you realize how little they are paid for so much work?  Forget getting out your calculator for the exact "politically correct" percentage.  The best advice I ever heard about tipping was from one of my favorite ministers, Kenneth Copeland.  He said, "Sometimes it's a tip, sometimes it's an offering."

When did you last take a fall? What's something you're falling for (in a good way) these days?

The last bad fall I took was probably two or three years ago in the Winn Dixie parking lot.  I'd just gotten out of church and needed to pick up something for lunch.  It had just rained and I was wearing very old shoes (that I promptly threw away after this episode).  I slid in this newly paved, very slick parking lot and landed hard on my hands and knees (mostly my knees).  Like any other self preserving human, I was hoping no one saw me.  They did.  Two gentlemen walked over and asked if I was OK.  I popped straight up and said (through gritted teeth), "Yeah, I'm good." and proceeded to hobble my way through the store.  Oh man, my knees were on fire!  I'm walking through the store thinking, Just act normal.  Yes, I know you're most likely bleeding and you've probably broken something, don't embarrass yourself.  When I got home, I assessed the damage.  Yes, I was bleeding.  No, I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything, but I did have to wear a knee brace I borrowed from someone for a couple of weeks to cut down on the pain and swelling of the "one" knee. 

Do y'all have that "one" knee?  The one that takes the brunt of every mishap?  The one you bang into EVERYTHING!?   The one every toddler you meet headbutts in greeting?  Or the "one" toe that finds EVERY coffee table or bedpost on the planet?  Yeah, me too.  Bless my heart.

Can't really think of anything I've "fallen for."

According to the Travel Channel here are some of America's best fall festivals-National Apple Harvest Festival (near Arendtsville PA, close to Gettysburg), Harvest on the Harbor (Portland Maine), German Village Festival (Columbus Ohio), Wellfleet Oyster Fest (Cape Cod), and Wine and Chile Fiesta (Santa Fe NM).  Have you ever been to any of the festivals listed?  Nope.    Which one appeals to you most? The Apple Harvest Festival in PA sounds the most appealing to me.  Does your hometown have any sort of fall celebration, and if so will you make it a point to attend?

Back home, there are several, but I've never attended any (I usually learned about them after the fact).  However, in my new home, there are bookoodles of festivals and fairs.  One that caught my eye is the local Punkin Chunkin' Festival in Aurora, CO.  Along with music, arts and crafts, and food vendors and other festival activities, there is a pumpkin chunking contest where teams are asked to be inventive with their pumpkin launching apparatuses and are judged on distance and accuracy.  This sounds like so much fun.  It's in October, so hopefully I'll be settled into a new job and schedule so I can enjoy the festivities.

What is your goodbye message to summer?

See you next go round.  Hopefully, next year, we can play together a lot more.

Insert your own random thought(s) here.
  • Anybody who gets offended by raw cotton in a vase or as fall decoration needs to have their attention got...repeatedly...with a two-by-four...or an aluminum folding chair.  If that kind of dumb was put in a pill, it would be called "Extra Strength Stupid."  Just as with the asinine decision by ESPN not to allow a sportscaster named Robert Lee (who is ASIAN btw) to commentate on a southern school's ball game for fear of offence, we need to apologize to every doorknob we've called dumb.  If you know what I'm talking about, fine.  If not, don't worry about it.   It's not even worth Googling it.
  • I've been called in for final interviews for one of the jobs I've been vying for.  Pray saints.
  • The Auntie mobile is dead.  That's the bad news.  The good news is 1) it died in the church parking lot, not on the highway, 2) I just so happened God miraculously set it up for me to have struck up a conversation having NOTHING to do with my car with (unbeknownst to me) the wife of a mechanic who took great care of me once she saw I was having car issues, C) that most likely by the time you read this, the problem will be assessed and repaired, and #) my car trouble was most likely not related to the cheap gas I bought.  I filled up with good gas over the weekend, and the thing still died.
  • OK, so I've been here a month.  I won't say I'm a little homesick, but I did just watch every episode of Sh%t Southern Women Say on YouTube.  All better now.

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading this! What prompted your move across country if i may ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your Hodgepodge thoughts especially the one on the cotton in vases, I agree with you! I pray you will get the job!
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete