Friday, September 22, 2017

Five Minute Friday: "Accept"



Accept is kind of like the word tolerance.  Everyone thinks it means one thing, but it means something totally different.  The dictionary definition of accept is: "consent to receive (a thing offered)."  To be accepting does not mean that I have to consent to receive everything offered.  Everything isn't good or healthy for me.  I can't accept every situation, every teaching, or every relationship that comes along.  Acceptance can include the word "no."  If I say no, that means I'm accepting that something isn't good for me to receive.

This prompt also reminded me of the first part of the Serenity Prayer:  "God, grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference."  This isn't a fatalistic view of life; it just means that we can't control everything and must trust God and put things in His hands.  That I can accept.
-----
Prompts provided by Mrs. Kate over at Five Minute Friday.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Truth you pointed out here --but we are not called to accept everything... but in our accepting of SOME things, that also means we have boundaries and using wisdom! Great post!

    ReplyDelete