Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Punching Words in the Throat: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge link-up!


What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.
Read this book as a couple and do what it says...
Why?  Because a lot of the arguments couples have is over money.  This book gives practical financial advice.  Plus, Dave's not some guru who came up with a book.  He's been through financial disaster, so he knows what he's talking about.  No, this is not a paid endorsement.  I wish!
Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined As Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"
No, I didn't prepare for Y2K.  I thought it was a bunch of bunk from the start.  That day was like any other day.
According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?
Probably the word "help."  I said it to God a lot.
Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix).  Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I think the "word" bae is stupid, please shoot it.  I use cray-cray (cra-cra would be pronounced "crah-crah"--sorry, grammar nerd here).  I don't even understand the term "life-hack."  To hack is to cut up something violently or to vomit violently (thanks Rick and Bubba).  Words I would like to personally punch in the throat:  epic, WOD (lunks use that one a lot.  I have no idea what it means),  "turn up" (I think it means to get ridiculously drunk?), the term "furbaby" is creepy.  I'm sure I could think of plenty more; I'm on social media a lot and see this kind of mess. 
 
January is National Hot Tea month. Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day? 
I really enjoy hot tea in the winter, but ice it down as soon as the thermometer hits 70.  I don't have a special tea service, but I want  one.  One of my 101 in 1001 goals is to learn to make the elements of an English Tea.  No point without a tea pot.  I would also like a tea kettle; boiling the water in the microwave just isn't the same.  My favorite tea flavors are green tea (with lemon and a tap of stevia), and Earl Grey tea (with sugar and cream).  I need to get one of those variety packs and test some different flavors to see what else I might like.
Whatever happened to________________________________?
  • Chivalry and manners?
  • The Christian rock group Petra?
  • Good customer service?
  • Minding your own business?
  • Church singings?
  • The game "Bop It Extreme"?
What is one book on your must-read list this winter? 
The Blessing of the Lord. by Kenneth Copeland
Insert your own random thought here. 



A few titters from the Twitter (and other places)

































From Twitter:  @WomenSouthern:  "Some people will never strain their backs totin' their brains."

New Southernism I just heard from Kenneth Copeland, "Squirrely as a pecan grove." ‪#‎ShoNuf

From Facebook: R.Tompkins shared:




























 

No comments:

Post a Comment