Sunday, January 25, 2015

Alpha Dog: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, January 25, 2015
 

Outside my window … A beautiful night.  The dog next door is barking at something, but other than that a nice quiet night.

I am thinking... about resigning from the community band after our spring concert.  I've been a part of the band since 2012 and really enjoy it.  However, a new guy who's only been to 3 practices and 1 concert apparently has decided that he is the section leader and therefore he has the right to talk down to me (not sure how he talks to the new lady who's playing with us) and take all the snare drum parts for himself.  I wanted to try to find a polite way to say something to our director, but couldn't figure out how not to sound like a whining shrew, so I let it go.  Plus, he's a friend of the director, so it wouldn't do any good anyway.

When I was in band in high school, I understood having to prove myself to  males who thought I didn't belong.  BUT, we are grown people and this guy treats me like I'm 12.  Don't make me go Coach Gundy on him...


Yeah, I know, I'm a woman and I'm 42...but you get the point. 

After playing for almost 3 years, I think I've proven myself as a worthy player and not just a chick who needs to shake a tambourine for a few notes to look like I belong.  I DO belong.  If this guy feels more like a man by taking over and giving the women the minimal parts, he can have it.  I'm too old for this alpha male crap.

I am thankful... For finally getting some real rest.  It's going to take a while to catch up.

In the kitchen...  Working to nourish myself.  I had breakthrough (epiphany if you will) about my health journey.  Rather than rehash it here, just click here to read about it. 
 
I am creating... Trying to finish up the quilt-ghan.

I am going...  to make some more changes in February.
 
I am wondering... about the Gideon's ministry.  Today, we heard from a church member who is involved in the ministry.  To be clear, I think that the what they do is wonderful because it distributes Bibles all over the world and many have been lead to Christ because of it.  HOWEVER, the fact that they exclude women from their membership leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Yes, I know that the Biblical account of Gideon's army in Judges chapter 6 only included men (it should have).  But, the disciples of Christ include men and women.  I just can't see a scriptural reason for the exclusion.  It's not personal, but it is.  When I'm more financially able, can I support what the ministry does without supporting the exclusion?

I am reading... Still reading Big Girls Don't Whine.
 
I am hoping... for more all-around improvement.

I am looking forward to...
 getting outside.  I'm looking forward to real, lasting changes in myself.
 
I am learning
… 


 
Around the house... Other than laundry, I'm not sure.
 
I am pondering...  the balance between taking things personally and personalizing things. 
 
A favorite quote for today... 

"A Bible that is falling apart usually belongs someone who isn't." - source unknown

Not necessarily a quote, but these two songs have been rolling around in my head for about a week now.  They are both now in my workout playlist.



One of my favorite things... Chicken salad

A few plans for the rest of the week:   Trying to finish up January with a bang, rather than a whimper.

A peek into my day...  

Our Sunday school class had a soup and salad luncheon after church today.  It was really nice.  They are planning on making it a quarterly event.  That would be great.

Leah M. and I had a good walk on the trail.  We hoping that others will want to join us.  Everyone's worried about the distance we walk.  I keep saying that the distance does not matter, I just want the conversation.  If I walk half a mile with one, five miles with another, or a couple hundred yards with someone else, I don't care.  I'm not going to yell at anyone like Jillian Michaels to walk them the point of collapse.  I want the walk to be enjoyable and a chance to fellowship around something other than food.  In fact, I hope it becomes a regular occurrence.

4 comments:

  1. My sister in law plays trumpet in her community band and she is having similar issues. She is starting to hate doing it, which is a shame as it is her "me" time. People just seem to like to ruin things for others, which drives me nuts. Getting real rest...that sounds like a good idea to me too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am visiting you from SWDB. I applaud you for trying not to whine as you put it, but I think it would be sad for you to leave something you enjoy just because someone is being a jerk. I think I would at least talk to them and let them know how it makes you feel to have them talk to you that way. If they really won't listen, then it probably is time to move on, but at least you tried. Hang in there and do your best. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete