Sunday, December 14, 2014

40 Days of Gratitude: Day 23: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, December 14, 2014


Outside my window … A cold night with the smell of the neighbors' roaring fireplaces in the air.

I am thinking... about why four and fourteen have the letter "u" in them, but forty doesn't.  I'm still thinking about ways to be a blessing through the Christmas season on into 2015. 

I am thankful...


I'm thankful for a Worship Pastor who's as gentle with grown up singers and musicians as he is with the little ones.  The adult choir and praise band played our Christmas musical today.  Next week, we're playing Christmas music that includes participation by the kids, so they worked on their part today.  It was great to watch Bob work with them. 

 
In the kitchen...  Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'll be planning out some things tomorrow.

I am wearing... bedclothes.

I am creating...


Finished this painting for the senior dance Friday.  I've got several stockings, hats, and my mini ninja frog on the hooks to finish in the next day or two.

I'm also looking to create some Christmas spirit this week. Not sure what all that is going to entail, but I'm ready.

I've got several ideas for this blog and my sister blog, so be prepared for more challenges and interaction.  Several writing projects are also swimming around in my grey matter. 

I am going...  to bed as soon as I proof this and publish it.  I'm still tired after taking a two hour nap today.  I DID play for two services straight, so I earned it.
 
I am wondering... about how some of my friends are doing who I haven't heard from in a while.  I hope all is well.

I am reading... I'm still reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, and Laugh Again by Chuck Swindoll.
 
I am hoping... still hoping for the buttload of miracles. 

I am looking forward to...
changing up my workouts.  I've been so focused on catching up the mile a day challenge (only 13 miles to go!) that I've not done much else but walk and run.  I'm ready for more biking, strength training, and trying new things like barre, and different fitness videos.
 
I am learning
… more about myself that I don't like.

Around the house... folding and putting away laundry, menu planning, hopefully putting up some Christmas decorations, and straightening up.
 
I am pondering...  Caution:  This is not a rant, but it is a little long.  Our College Pastor and his wife adopted a baby boy from Africa (Ethiopia, I think). Just a side note:  They have what I want, but in reverse--Dad is red haired and Caucasian, child is African-American.  I'm black, but some day I want to adopt several different nationalities of children, including a red haired, Caucasian child just to freak out rednecks at Wal-Mart.  Anyway, as time went on, the parents discovered that their sweetie has developmental disabilities.

The only reason I know even this much is because last year he shared about it during one of his sermons.  He talked about Jacob's limp, and compared it to dealing with his son's physical problems.  He wasn't saying that he didn't love his son or that he was ashamed of him (which, quite honestly, I would have understood perfectly), just that knowing his son most likely wouldn't be "normal" bothered him (like a limp would--it hurts, but you deal with it).  This year, I've had the opportunity to see this man interact with his son and speak more about him in sermons, tweets, and in passing.  His "limp" has grown into a beautiful picture of God's grace and acceptance.

Their sweetie at the Christmas parade
The part I'm pondering and wish I knew how to ask the dad about is how?  I was born damaged and was a very sickly child.  I was more than a limp to my parents; I was a broken limb that never mended--that never went beyond the pain.  I cannot fathom such changes, such unconditional love as that, such caring and unashamed love.  I've been a Jesus freak for 28 years, but still have problems accepting God's unconditional love.  How do you go from the understandable temptation to be ashamed to "Hey everybody!  Look at my child!  Isn't he beautiful?  I love him so much!"  That baby will never know the pain and embarrassment of being unwanted.  He will know the super love of being chosen by loving dad and mom, and the supernatural love of God.  Wow, to be so free!
 
A favorite quote for today... 

"What's a chorus among friends." - Pastor Bob, our worship leader after we'd screwed up a song.

One of my favorite things... funny hats.  I need to make me some.

A few plans for the rest of the week:   Grocery day Monday,  sharing at Celebrate Recovery Friday, not sure about the rest of the week.

A peek into my day...  Sweet dreams, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment