Friday, October 3, 2014

Rebel Yell: The Friday 5

Go over to http://f.riday5.com/ for the weekly prompts.
Rebellion, going against the grain, not being a conformist.  The Friday 5 questions focus on that this week.
  1. In what ways have you rebelled against your upbringing?  I think I need to plead the fifth on this one.  Let's just say the ways I rebelled are not typical and leave it at that.
  2. In what ways have you rebelled against your schooling?   For a while, I was not college material by any stretch of the imagination--and the teachers said so.  I changed, made to college, and got two degrees.  I've rebelled in that I've never diagramed another sentence--EVER. 
  3. In what ways have you rebelled against American culture?  American cultures dictates rail thin and sexy is the only way to be a real woman.  Sure, I'm losing weight and getting healthy, but I will embrace my curvy, muscular figure.  As far a sexy goes?  **raises middle finger**
  4. Is it possible to rebel against yourself?  Sure,  I've had many paradigm shifts in my life.  I think that's a part of maturing and having your own mind.  I don't simply believe things because someone told me; I search them out myself. 
  5. What’s your favorite song about rebellion?  I have several.  I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone by the Monkees.  I know it's about a guy saying he's not going to be a doormat for a girl, but the message of the chorus spoke to me.  I played the song a lot during my high school days.  White and Nerdy by Weird Al Yankovic because I love the fact that being brainy and square is just fine (I swear Al was thinking of me when he wrote this).  I would say Your Grace is Enough by Chris Tomlin is a good rebellion song because the human thing is to claim to need no one and to be "self made."  Leaning on God's grace is not popular, but it works a heck of a lot better than trying to do it all yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment