Wednesday, October 8, 2014

#59 Empty Shelf Challenge 08 [101 in 1001]

BookWhite Chocolate Moments.

Author: Lori Wick

Info: Copyright 2007 Harvest House Publishers.

Where acquired: Checked out of public library.

Why:  I've read several of Wick's novels.  I was browsing the library's online catalog and noticed a title I'd never seen before.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags):  # # # #

What it's about:  After losing her parents in an accident and being rejected by her grandfather, Arcineh Bryant goes on a quest for identity.  Her search leads her to true love and her real identity.

Favorite Quotes

Not really a quote, but one scene cracked me up.  A character went on a bike ride and wouldn't speak up when it went on too long.  The next few days, she was so sore, she couldn't move or walk.  I feel her pain.

What I Liked:
  • This book didn't start out with happy go lucky Christians who floated on glory clouds all day.  These characters were not godly people, their hurts were real, and the struggles were familiarly genuine.
  • Arcineh wasn't a waif waiting for the rescue of a man.  She was a strong character who had more than beauty as an asset.
  • The Christian aspects of this book were solid and didn't seem to be thrown in as an afterthought.  They flowed beautifully with the story.
What I didn’t like: 
  • Quite frankly, I would have dropped Arcineh's cousin off the top of tallest building and repented later.  When you read it, you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • There were a few minor timeline differences and awkward sentences that were confusing.
To sum up:  My main takeaway from this book:  Arcineh's story is unique, yet it could represent anyone's quest for significance in this world.  I would highly recommend this book.

Want to join the challenge?  Click the empty shelf photo on the right to learn more.  It's not too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment