Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Awesome Sauce: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge questions.


The expression 'mad as a March hare' originated with a fictional character who is distracted and frantic. When were you last 'mad as a March hare' and what was it that made you that way?
In the South, the expression is "mad as a wet hen."  The last time I was that angry was Valentine's Day.  It was my grandniece Raven's 3rd birthday and I couldn't do anything for her, random keys on my laptop keyboard stopped working, plus, it was Valentine's Day--or as some of us call it "Singles Awareness Day."  That's enough to hack anyone off.  I stayed off the net and didn't leave the house that day until it was time for Celebrate Recovery.
Mardi Gras this year falls on Tuesday, March 4th. Have you ever been to Mardi Gras, and if so what did you think? If not, do you have any interest in going?  Purple, green, and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras. Which one is most prevalent in your wardrobe? How about in your home?
Nope, never been, but it sounds like so much fun.  Of the three colors, purple is the most prevalent in my wardrobe.  I have yellow/bronze tones in my skin, so I don't look good in most yellows or greens.  I don't really have a decorative style or color scheme for my living quarters, so there's no dominant color or anything like that.
Are you old fashioned?
Most definitely.  I like hanging out my laundry in the warm weather, sending/receiving letters in snail mail, manners, those papery-blog things called books, and handwritten notes...among other things.
Do you carefully plan your vacations, or do you prefer the days to be more spontaneous?
As I've said here and here, I've not travelled much, and when I did, it wasn't really a vacation.  When I am able to take real vacations, I would like them to be "planned spontaneity."  In other words, I'd have specific plans for where I will be on what day, but also be willing to have a spontaneous adventure when I get there.
March is National Sauce Month...what's your favorite sauce, and what do you most often top with this sauce?
Salsa.  I put salsa on my eggs or omelets, on chicken, mix it with sour cream for a dip, and mix it with mashed avocado for the easiest guacamole ever.  Runner ups are gravy, marinara sauce, and ketchup.
What's something that easily brings a tear to your eye?
Cutting onions.  Just kidding...well, actually it does.  Births, deaths, baptisms, glorious unbridled worship, surprises, and good movies with happy endings.  I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.
If you could own any sports team, which one would it be and why?
Well, you technically can't "own" a college team, but if I could, I'd own the University of Alabama football team.  Why?  I like to win and I like to make money.  If I could own a baseball team, I think I'd own the Atlanta Braves so I could fire everybody and start over again.  I watched the Braves go from "worst to first" and back to worst again.  We haven't been first since 1995.  They need to get it together.
Insert your own random thought here.
I am still reeling from my vegan experiment.  I've been eating and taking vitamins like crazy, but I am still not up to full strength yet.  I was going to go walking today, and my body still wasn't going for it.  Hopefully tomorrow will be the day my body remembers how to act.  I've apologized to it over and over for nearly starving it to death.  By the way, I didn't lose any weight during that week, I actually gained because my body went into starvation mode and held on to everything it could.  I have made a royal mess of myself.  I was supposed to run a 5k this weekend, but it's not going to happen.  I couldn't train from by bed.  Never again...NEVER!

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that your vegan experiment didn't exactly pan out. I've given a little thought to trying the vegan lifestyle, but I enjoy chicken, pork, and beef way too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you want to live on supplements or stay in bed indefinitely, don't do it.

      Delete
  2. I much the same on the old fashioned answer, except for the laundry. Love my dryer! I spent the first almost 30 years of my life doing laundry the hard way aka Amish, so I don't see me getting tired of my dryer any time soon.

    And the things you shared that make you tear up do the same to me. Sniff, sniff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me, I have a dryer, but on warm days, there's nothing like pegging out the laundry. Plus, I'm cheap, so if it saves on the power bill, I'm all for it. :)

      Delete
  3. My sister attends Celebrate Recovery. I thought it was a local group and didn't know it extended elsewhere. She has met wonderful friends and support through the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it's all over the nation, and spreading worldwide.

      Delete
  4. I love your answers for what makes you cry! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Onions-ha! You had some good answers for that one. I am working hard at being more aware of what I'm eating. I tend to snack rather mindlessly, but since I began boot camp I'm doing less of that. I'm trying to record what I eat, which is a pain, so maybe just the act of recording is good for weight loss: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get back to journaling in a food diary myself.

      Delete
  6. You are awesome! I love spending the time with you at CR and really enjoy reading your blog too! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete