Thursday, October 24, 2013

Blog Challenge Day 24: Workin' It.

Blog challenge is from Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine
 

Day 24:  Describe your first job.

It was the summer of 1988 when I was 16.  I was a helper at the old Jacksonville Senior Citizen's Center (now a parking lot on the square).  During activity time my job was to assist the participants.  This mostly amounted to being asked, "Hey, girl, come'ere and play Uno with us!"  That was the easy fun part of the job.  In the afternoons, I helped clean up the activity area and the dining hall.  The only part of the job I didn't look forward to was riding along to help deliver meals on wheels.  Most everyone was nice, but we had a "cat lady" to deliver to--her house was "hoarders" nasty because she let the dozens of cats just go potty wherever they wanted (no litter boxes that I could see), plus she dipped snuff (yep, spit cups on display), plus, she didn't have any air conditioning, but kept her windows closed.  Now look, I've been a preschool teacher and cleaned a LOT of dirty bottoms, watched MANY kids eat boogers or hurl, and mopped up GALLONS of pee, puke, poop, and other solids liquids and gasses, but this was the only job that actually made me gag!  Now that's saying something.

I left the job at the end of the summer when band camp started.  I'm so glad that my first job experience was a positive one.  All of the great people I spent time with have all passed on and I miss them.  It was such a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment