Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Ice Cold Courage: The Weekly Hodgepodge

 

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
 

What's a change you'd like or need to make this year? 

I'm taking January to declutter and finish up things I started last year (books, craft projects, etc.).  After that, the huge change needed is that I don't surround myself with the detritus of the unfinished.  I began making some of the needed changes for this year during the holiday break.  Many are included in my 24 for 2024 list.

Break the ice, on thin ice, ice skating, tip of the iceberg, ice cold...which icy idiom applies to your life right now? Explain. 

Ice cold. The Denver metro area is about to experience record-breaking frigid temperatures this weekend.  While church usually isn't cancelled for snow (though I stay home when it's snowy and icy), I'm wondering if Colorado Community Church will call off weekend services.  As much as I want to attend, I'm wondering if me and my car get even get warm enough for the hour long drive.  Sorry to be such a weenie, but this reminds me of my days of having to ride the bus to church during the winter.  No matter how cold it got, many drivers wouldn't turn the heat on, plus the bus stops are not heated and not all are covered.  So, the longer the trip, the colder I became.  Being that cold is miserable and the expected temperatures are in the "dangerous" category.

What's a project you've been putting off? Will you get to it this month? This year?

Deep cleaning my car.  Cleaning the outside is easy; there's an automatic car wash close by.  However, the interior deep clean is the big problem.  I can wipe down the dash, windows, and console and sweep out the floorboard and seats.  However, I purchased new floor mats for my car soon after I bought it, but really need to deep clean the front floorboard carpeting (especially the driver's side) before putting them down.  I don't know how to do it myself and I'm not sure anyone offers that service or how much it costs if they do.

Of the fruits that grow well in winter which ones have you tried? Which is your favorite? 

pomegranates, clementines, persimmons, passion fruit, pears, grapefruit, lemons, pomelos, kumquats.

I've not tried most of the fruits on this list.  This question brings up something that I've been pondering.  Where's all the grapefruit?  Since I moved here, I've not seen any grapefruit or grapefruit juice in any of the stores I frequent.  Is there a shortage?  Is it sold out faster than I can find it?  

What do you think it means to be courageous? 

  • Doing things afraid.  Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to overcome the fear and do it anyway.
  • Having attitudes and accomplishing things that others are too afraid of.
  • Courageous people do not have to tell others of their courage, but it is obvious to all who pay attention.
  • Courage is turning a "can't" into a "can," or a "never" into a "hold my beer and watch this."
  • One of my favorite quotes about courage came from my pastor, "Courage is fear that has said its prayers."

Insert your own random thought here.

In case you missed it:  

* My previous Hodgepodge post:  "Working on the Creepy Factor" is here.
* My "24 in 2024" post is here.
* My 2024 reading challenge:  "Full Shelf Challenge V.2" is here.|
* My latest First Line Friday post: "#16:  A Year With C. S. Lewis" is here.
* My final Simple Woman's Daybook "Day 40:  The End is Just the Beginning?" is here.
* My latest Monday Mess Making post on my Auntie's Workshop blog "Squaring Up" is here.

3 comments:

  1. Does your church have online services? I think I would have to stay home and worship online brrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa. Yes, we have online services. I'm seriously considering staying home and catching Sunday's livestream.

      Delete
  2. Hope you stay safe and warm during the upcoming cold snap! That's not the kind of weather I'd want to go out in if I could avoid it. Loved your thoughts on courage and the quote from your pastor. (I guess we're not courageous enough to brave the cold though! LOL) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete