Monday, January 1, 2024

Day 40: The End is Just the Beginning?: The Simple Woman's Daybook [40 Days of Gratitude 2023]

 If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

 
For Today: Monday, January 1 2024

The leader of the prompts for the Daybook has pretty much revamped the series, rarely posts and eliminated the community aspect of it, so this will be my last Daybook.  However, fear not, there will be many other posts and prompts that will more than make up for the loss.
 
Looking Out My Window ...

Despite the forecasts of sunny weather in the mid-50s, the day has been overcast and cold.  I am pleased that the days are starting to be just a touch longer.  I need all the daylight I can get.  The children in the apartment complex didn't even come out to play today...and they're little snowbirds.

I am Thinking...about this past year:
  • The best book I read in 2023: I read many more good books than bad ones.  I'd have to say that Practice Resurrection by Eugene Peterson was the best of the lot.  However, it had a great many competitors for the top spot.
  • The worst book I read in 2023:  Win the Day by Mark Batterson.  This one was recommended to me by an acquaintance.  I should have put it in the "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That" pile and moved on.  However, I finished the 256 pages (OK  the 7hrs, 47 mins) of every tacky business cliche, sports cliche, Christian cliche, and standard cliche ever written purely out of spite.  It's a wonder I didn't throw up while slogging through it.
  • My favorite art/craft project of 2023:
"Playing in the Rain 01" - I taught this painting to my friend, Betsey.  Out of everything I painted this year, this is the one I stare and smile at the most.  Yes, it is for sale, so let me know if you're interested.

  • My worst art/craft failure of 2023: I attempted to use stencil vinyl for the first time.  The Cricut (not a sponsor) cut out the project just fine.  However, don't be fooled by those YouTube crafters who say that you can stencil paint a canvas bag with it; I can't.  I never got to paint anything since the vinyl would stay put even with the help of painter's tape.  I'll have to figure out another way to decorate the bags and use the vinyl to make stencils for a different type of project. I bought it and I'm not wasting it.
  • My best experiences of 2023:  I had the privilege of doing many new things and seeing a few new places the past year:
In early 2023, my coworker, Christa, invited me to join her church's Loving Stitches quilting group.  I've blogged about it during this blog series and on my Auntie's Workshop blog.



Summer of 2023 marked my first time to experience the Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster, CO.  Along with the myriad of colorful butterflies was a smattering of vibrant plants and flowers.  I was in hog heaven.


I travelled to Winter Park, CO for the first time in the fall of 2023.  Jen's church (Lakewood Church of Christ) had a ladies' retreat at the YMCA of the Rockies campground.  The scenery was spectacular and the fellowship was a pleasure.


After building my chops with individual painting parties at my home, I was invited to do a couple of travelling group parties.  The first one was at Lakewood Church of Christ (Jen's church).  The second was my friend Pam's Red Had Society group; it's the first one for which I was paid.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Pam and I still laugh about this party.  Hoping that 2024 will be a year of even more parties.

I am Thankful for...



Today, I am thankful:
  • For the start of a new year with the setting of new goals,
  • For completing this blog series.  As I said, I didn't finish the last time I tried this--and no, I still don't remember why.
  • For exceeding my reading goal for the year.
  • For making it through the holidays without any major depressive episodes or sickness.
  • For getting outside to take a walk despite how cold and tired I felt.
  • For my family.
  • For all my friends from my Southern home and here in my Rocky Mountain home who continue to love me, pray for me, support me, and laugh with me.
  • For you, dear reader, who continue to read and enjoy (most of the time) my ramblings. We're going into year 12 of this blog, and my hope is for more posts and readers, more challenges, and more fun.
From the Workshop...  

After sewing for three straight days at the quilting retreat, I took a break and worked on paper crafts today. I saw this card on Pinterest a while back and found the instructions in a YouTube video.  This is a great use of scraps and a fun card to make.  The funny thing is, the people posting it on Pinterest acted like it was a brand new, never before seen card pattern, but the instructional video was almost 15 years old!


From Auntie's Test Kitchen... After all the holiday food, it was simple fare in the kitchen today.

I am Reading...  

  • I Dare You by Joyce Meyer
  • A Year With C. S. Lewis by C. S. Lewis
  • Selected Sermons of Johnathan Edwards by Johnathan Edwards
  • Put Your Dream to the Test  by John C. Maxwell

  • Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ... 
     
    Not really a quote, but the sermon from yesterday was quite poignant. 

    Now For Something Totally Different ...


     Yeah, I know it's called "X" now, but I don't really care.







    No comments:

    Post a Comment