Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Working on the Creepy Factor: The Weekly Hodgepodge


Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
 

Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2024-

hack, impact, at the end of the day, rizz, slay, iconic, cringe worthy, obsessed, side hustle, wait for it

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Are any of these a regular part of your speech? Is there a word not on the list that you'd like to add? 

I ask yet again, who made Lake Superior University the gatekeeper of the English language?  Anyway, the slang or misused words such as hack, rizz, and slay can all go.  I'd also like to see the phrase "wrap my head/mind/brain around" hung up by its feet and used as a pinata.  Maybe instead of deleting words, Lake Superior University should encourage people to actually purchase a dictionary and learn to use it.  Did I say that?  Sorry, that was in my teacher voice.

What do you wish you'd done more of last year? Less of? 

I wish I had done more writing and less stress eating last year.  Oh, well.  Onward and upward.

A place you'd like to visit in this new year? Do you think you will? 

I'd like to visit Colorado Springs for a weekend.  There's several things I'd like to do there:  

  • Tour the Garden of the gods.  I went with a friend a couple of years ago, but it was pouring rain so visibility and picture quality were poor (see photo).
  • Take a watercolor class with Lorraine Watry.  I saw her on an old episode of Colour in Your Life and would thoroughly enjoy a class or two from her.
  • Visit the Hideaway Retreat Center again.  I was there in 2019 for a church retreat but didn't get to experience all that the center had to offer (the fitness area, hot tubs, and hiking trails).
  • Eat at the Cracker Barrel.  We don't have one in the Denver metro area and the nearest one is only about 10 minutes closer than the Colorado Springs location.
  • See some friends of mine who live near Colorado Springs.  They have a new baby I wish to spoil.
Am I likely to go?  Honestly, I don't know.  Here's a question for y'all:  How does a single person go out and do things like this without it being creepy?  I know I can't expect my friends to always want to go the same places as I, but doesn't the alone factor make this trip lonely and sad?  If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

What are three words to sum up or describe your 2023? 

Busy
Fun
Interesting

What advice would you like to give yourself as we begin a new year? 

Write more things down.

Insert your own random thought here.

In case you missed it:  

* My previous Hodgepodge post:  "Days 34 & 35:  Scraps and Such 01" is here.
* My final Simple Woman's Daybook "Day 40:  The End is Just the Beginning?" is here.
* My latest Monday Mess Making post on my Auntie's Workshop blog "Quilt in a Day...Well:  Episode 3" is here.

12 comments:

  1. Do you have a couple of friends who might be up for a road trip? I might throw it out there and say, 'hey anyone want to spend a weekend in Colorado Springs' and see what happens. On the other hand, if you want to go and see friends there I'd just ask the friends directly...hey, I'm coming your way and want to get together...would whatever date work? I'd like to see Garden of the Gods. I've been to Colorado Springs, but not since I was a kid, and I don't remember seeing that. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Miss Joyce. I may ask some friends. It's a difficult situation because all of my friends are married and many have children. But all they can say is no. It can't hurt to ask.

      Delete
  2. Garden of the Gods is beautiful!! My sister is single and she has 3 or 4 other ladies and they do a lot of things together. I agree with Joyce - put it out there and see what happens. When I was 40, my husband had a trip to Las Vegas for work. I actually rented my first car (alone) and drove to the Hoover Dam (I had to use a paper map because this was 25 years ago) and toured a Cranberry factory (alone) while I was out and about. It felt a little weird going by myself but I decided I might never be there again. It has been 25 years ago . . .and I haven't had the opportunity to go back so I'm glad I didn't miss out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa. What I saw during the thunderstorm was great. I'm sure in good weather and with more time, it will be spectacular.

      Delete
  3. Your trip ideas in and around Colorado Springs sounds nice. I hope you're able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby. I may bite the bullet and go when I'm off for spring break (weather permitting).

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing Garden of the Gods many, many years ago when I was a kid. I'd be interested in seeing it again now that I'm almost a senior adult. LOL I hope you can make the trip, whether with some friends or by yourself - I think whatever you are comfortable with is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your travel ideas sound fun and I don't think a woman going on a trip alone is creepy. You might be more vulnerable than if you go with one or more other people though. Or was that what you meant by creepy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what I mean by creepy is how my travelling alone is perceived by strangers. You've read my blog long enough to know I'm not THAT person, so understand my heart. I don't want the fact that I'm a black woman travelling alone to raise suspicion. Fortunately, it's only happened to me once since I've been in Colorado, but it's not a fun feeling.

      Delete
  6. Better late than never commenting...lol. Haha... I can't believe some of the words are even in some form of a dictionary. I actually still have the dictionary and thesaurus I bought from the book fair in Jr. High (early 80's). I really want to visit Colorado. I enjoyed your answers. In answer to your question, I think it totally depends on the person. I know single adults who travel, do all sorts of things on their own and love it. If I were single, I think it would be hard...but maybe that's because I've been married for a long time. or I also think my personality struggles to go and do things by myself. Good question. THough I hope that if I were single, I would push myself out of my comfort zone so I wouldn't miss out on all there is for me, AND who says things are only meant to do if there's a significant other. I think society has kind of warped our thinking sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. I agree with you. Some people act like the unattached should crawl in a cave and die, never to sully the world with their presence.

      Delete