Friday, February 24, 2023

First Line Friday #9: Learning to Love a Porcupine

 

Thanks to Carrie at
Reading is My Superpower
for the Link-up


 

Title:  Learning to Love a Porcupine
Author:  Bob McLeod
Genre: Memoir / Addiction Help


 〰First Line

─────────────────────────────────────────────────
The caller ID said, "private number."  I answered it anyway.

"Is this Bob McLeod?"

"Yes, it is.  How can I help you?"

"Mr. McLeod, this is Officer Hendrick.  I'm an investigator for the City of Jacksonville Police Department.  Do you know Lamar Murray?"

"Yes, sir, I know who he is.  Why do you ask?"

"It's been reported to us that he said he's coming to kill you."
─────────────────────────────────────────────────

Synopsis:  (From Amazon:)

HUMAN BEINGS ACTING LIKE PORCUPINES!

Feeling threatened, the razor-sharp quills come out.

Irritability, hostility, blame-shifting and lack of sensibility can be the behavior of a drug-addict, but the rest of the story is that “Porcupine behavior” of others, can also be a contributing factor.

This is the true story of a depressed, suicidal drug addict who found his way and the healing of his family.  Their story helps answer these questions:

What is the root cause of addiction?

How do I face my own death without fear?

How do I live without guilt when I know I’m guilty?

How do I live without regret when I’ve hurt so many that I love?

How do I live without shame when I’ve made such a fool of myself?

How can I ever be happy after a loved one has knowingly committed suicide or died from an overdose?

Can I really live free from worry and anxiety?

Can I really live free from disappointment?

How can I know all of my needs are being met?

How can my life really make a positive difference?

How can I not die of a broken heart?

How do I overcome stress?

 〰First Thoughts

I met Mr. Bob and his wife, Miss Patti, when I was around 15 years old.   There were part of my home church and, at the time, were helping out at a local group home for the mentally challenged. Bob was like that: always going above and beyond to include the excluded...including me.  He never met a stranger and never made anyone feel unwanted.  He had a heart for prisoners, drug addicts, and anyone else who was down-and-out. Our friendship, which was more like a parent-child relationship, instilled a similar attitude in my heart.  I know it sounds like a cliche, but this book is his heart on paper.  He mailed me a copy of the book in 2020 and I added it to my ever-growing "to read" pile.  I had no idea that Bob would pass away a year later.  I found out from a mutual friend that he knew of the medical condition that could take his life at any time.  I'm honored that with all that going on, he thought of me...and still refers to me as his "daughter." I look forward to reading the stories I'd not had the pleasure of hearing before.
So, what's the first line of the book you're currently reading?

3 comments:

  1. My first line comes from The Maid of Ballymacool by Jennifer Deibel:
    County Donegal, Ireland September 1935
    The slap had hit its mark, leaving a burning outline Brianna was certain showed perfectly on her cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading Brooke by Ronie Kendig. It's intense.
    "Holy fires, it hurt to breathe. She wanted to slow down but knew she couldn't."
    I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great title. I'm just beginning Kidnapped in Texas by Virginia Vaughan. The first line is: "Abby Mitchell crossed the street to drop a letter into the mailbox." Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete