Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A Penny Saved...is Still a Penny: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!

Find a penny. Look at the date and tell us something about your life or what you were doing that year? 

The penny I found was stamped 2014.  This was the year I finally moved out of projects and into Miss Sue's house. This was my three year interim housing before moving to Colorado. Though extremely difficult I'm forever thankful for that time.

Were you given an allowance as a child? Did you have to earn it in some way? Did you learn to save money when you were a child or is that something you figured out as an adult 

When my parents could spare it, they would give a little spending money.  It wasn't an allowance per se. My parents did instill a strong work ethic in me.  We were extremely poor, so saving money wasn't really an option.  My adult financial skills were honed when I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course.  I have been working the baby steps for over a decade now and hope to get to step seven within the next 10 years.

April 23rd is National Take A Chance Day...what's a chance you need or want to take?

It's not so much chances I need to take, but I have a running list of things I need to "do afraid."  For other people, they may not seem like major things, but I've been very hesitant to do these things.  Some of the "do it afraid" list items are:

  • Detail my vehicle at the car wash.  I don't know how to use the car vacs, and I had an embarrassing time pulling into the car wash when I tried to use it last year.  Yes, I can make the most simple tasks difficult.
  • Call a repair person to put new saddles on my bass guitar.  My bass is way out tune with itself and needs new parts to correct the intonation. The man must be trustworthy since I got his number from our worship leader.  However, I feel about my instrument like I feel about my car.  I have dealt with mechanics who see a woman and automatically start seeing dollar signs out of the assumption that my gender means I know nothing about cars (which is untrue).  However, I know practically nothing about my instrument other than putting strings on it, tuning it and playing it, so this guy better be honest.
  • Go to our local Chick-Fil-A.  I've eaten food from there several times, but someone else was picking up the food.  The reason I haven't gone myself is I can't figure out how to get over to it.  I see it from Belmar Library, but I also see some sort of parking deck configuration when I'm on that side of Wadsworth.  I'm sure it's simple, but I don't want to embarrass myself trying to figure it out.

What's some outdated slang you seem to use a little too often? 

Plain English.  Everyone wants to speak in emojis, abbreviations, and urban dictionary words that don't mean what they mean.

It's National Poetry month and I always like to make us work our brains a little...
Roses are red

Violets are blue

....you fill in the rest with something original...

 Roses are red
Violets are blue
Can we go to Big 5?
I need some athletic shoes.

What?
  
Insert your own random thought here.  

In case you missed it:  

* My last Hodgepodge post, "Hoping for a Patio," is here.
* My latest Five Minute Friday post "Pressure" is here.
*My latest Auntie's Workshop post "Finishing and Fixing I" is here
* My latest 2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge review of The Five Love Languages:  Singles Edition  is here.

3 comments:

  1. I understand some of those anxieties about simple things. I wish I lived nearby because my hubs would be so happy to show you the ropes at the car wash. I do find people are mostly nice and want to be helpful. Perhaps if there's a person using the space nearby they would answer questions. Is it staffed? They might be happy to help too. I do hope you get to that Chick-fil-A!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Dave Ramsey has helped many of us with gaining financial security. Good program. I know how hard you have worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so relate to wanting to get to the CFA but not being quite sure how to actually get there! So frustrating! Hope you can get some delicious chicken soon!

    ReplyDelete